Dashboards & Visualizations

Changing table column header names

brettcave
Builder

I have a result set that I want to display in a table, but customize the header names. My search uses append to get 2 sets of values, and then merges them using stats

search ...  | stats dc(VisitorID) as "visitors" by Ranges | append [ 
  search ... | stats dc(VisitorID) as "VisitorsWhoX" by Ranges 
]

Gives:

Ranges     visitors      VisitorsWhoX
0-10       11  
11-20      19
21-30      7
0-10                      6
11-20                     9
21-30                     2

From this point, I want to do 3 things: Merge the 2 searches by range, calc a 3rd column and rename the column headers. So I do the following:

... | stats last(visitors) as visitors last(VisitorsWhoX) as VisitorsWhoX by Ranges 
| eval "Conversion Rate"=round(VisitorsWhoX / visitors * 100)."%"
| eval "# of Visitors"=visitors | eval "Visitors who X"=VisitorsWhoX | table Ranges "# of Visitors" "Visitors who X" Ranges

Using this method does give me the results I work, just wondering if it can be optimized:

1. Is there a better way to merge the results from 2 searches rather than using stats in the first line above?
  2. Is there a better way to rename column headers and display them? This report could expand to having up to 10 columns, and having 10 | eval "New Field"=oldfield" commands seems very inefficient.
Tags (1)
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer
  1. So you still want to the do the first method if possible but have the results in-line... how about the appendcols to add the fields to your main search and then include them in the table that way?
  2. Instead of using mulitple eval commands, why don't you use rename? Then you could do something like (for example):

..|rename visitors as "# of Visitors", VisitorsWhoX as "Visitors who X" |..

View solution in original post

MHibbin
Influencer
  1. So you still want to the do the first method if possible but have the results in-line... how about the appendcols to add the fields to your main search and then include them in the table that way?
  2. Instead of using mulitple eval commands, why don't you use rename? Then you could do something like (for example):

..|rename visitors as "# of Visitors", VisitorsWhoX as "Visitors who X" |..

brettcave
Builder

appendcols doesn't work because there isn't a 1 to 1 mapping of columns. in the example above, "VisitorsWhoX" may be null for 0-10 (I could set to 0 if isnull though).
rename: perfect. thank you.

0 Karma

kjamsheed

excellent. worked for me

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...