Dashboards & Visualizations

App label configured in app.conf not displayed in nav bar next to app logo

mr103
Engager

Hello,
After upgrading from 8.2 to 9.1 I noticed a change in the nav bar affecting most of the custom apps.

On the right end of the nav bar, where the app logo (file appIcon*.png from the <appname>/static folder) is displayed, the app label (which is configured in app.conf as "label" in the [ui] section) is simply not showing.

Strangely enough, for some applications, like "Search & Reporting", the text label is still appearing.
But for the majority of the 3rd party apps from the splunkbase, and also for my own custom apps, the label is not showing at all. (For the record: the logo icon is showing, but the text label is not)
This is very annoying.

After some investigation, it seems that it is NOT an issue of some CSS styling.
Because according to the Web Inspector in a browser, the html "span" element that should hold the app label, is NOT populated with the value configured in app.conf/[ui]/label.
The "span" element is just empty 😞

Why is that ?

Regards,
mr

Labels (1)

yoho
Contributor

We're running into the same (or similar) issue. We're not using appLogo but appIcon to set the app's icon. The icon AND the label are displayed in the dashboard selection page accordingly but as soon as you click to show one particular dashboard, the label disappears and only the icon stays.

I can't say for sure it was not present before but several users noticed since our upgrade from 9.0.x to  9.1.x.

Tags (5)
0 Karma

mr103
Engager

Hi @tscroggins ,

Thanks for the hint.
Yes, confirmed, the appLogo.png (appLogo_2x.png) - which is allowed to be a bit larger (wider) in size than appIcon*.png - automatically "disables" displaying of the label. And this is kind of "ok".
So this is also my (ugly) workaround now:  I created appLogo(_2x).png files which have an "embedded" textual element that is the label (or app name) that I want to have visible for users in the upper right corner.

But when I remove the "appLogo*.png" files from the "static/" folder - why is THEN the label from app.conf not displayed ?? It should be, right ? Along with the small appIcon.
I would really prefer to display the text label instead of the cumbersome appLogo.png containing text on it.

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Yes, it should be displayed, but it may be cached. Did you restart splunkweb or splunk after removing the files?

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @mr103,

It shouldn't have worked in 8.2. If present, static/appLogo.png and static/appLogo_2x.png supersede the app.conf [ui] label setting.

static/appIcon*.png should be displayed on the home page, the Apps menu, etc.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...