Dashboards & Visualizations

Adding Custom Sidebar to Splunk UI

davidoff96
Path Finder

Hello,

My company has a sidebar that is consistent throughout all our other internal applications, and we were trying to get that same sidebar on our Splunk instance as well. We wanted to add a custom sidebar, with links to other pages from there (sort of looks like the bootstrap 5 sidebar https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/examples/sidebars/), within all the apps (home/search/etc).

Is there anyway this can be done? When I looked elsewhere for tips on styling the UI, most of them were for styling the dashboards themselves. Is there also a way to include a custom javascript file within that UI as well? I am new to splunk, so maybe I am not looking in the right areas.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I didn't know if this is possible or not (haven't seen it), but is it option for you to just add those to navigation bar as own submenu? https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/createapps/addnavsplunkapp/

r. Ismo

davidoff96
Path Finder

Hey Ismo,

Thanks for the reply. I believe my company is actually currently doing that, so the navbar at the top looks correct. Its just that we want a sidebar on the left. Or is there some js file I can edit that will run on page load, where I can modify the html? I could add it through that if needed (though I'd rather not write the html in the javascript)

0 Karma

jhanvidattani
Path Finder

Hello @davidoff96 

I have never such a case before, but regarding js you can try the below thing:

• Added HTML code in XML dashboard and provide some id to it.
  • Perform changes for this id from js file (which can be included in <dashboard script="file.js">

davidoff96
Path Finder

Thats a great idea Jhan. I needed it to be site/application wide though. Is there an xml file I can edit to change the layout on every page? Sort of like a _Layout.cshtml in asp.net?

0 Karma

jhanvidattani
Path Finder

@davidoff96 

I have not worked with dot net, but I can provide steps for SPlunk:

Follow the below things to make changes in your Splunk App:

• Navigate to folder $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app_name>
    • In default/data/ui/nav/default.xml add <file_name> so it becomes visible in Splunk Navigation Bar
    • In default/data/ui/views add <file_name.xml> wherein we will be adding actual dashboard code (input and panels)
    • Add your <custom_file.js> file in appserver/static folder
    • Restart Splunk
  • In <file_name> dashboard (which will now be visible from UI) add your HTML code (refer to link mentioed in previos comment)  and import your js file as: <form script="custom_file.js">

If you find my solution/debugging steps useful, then an upvote would be appreciated.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
You shouldn’t ever do any changes under default, use always local directory path for your own changes! Only situation to use default is when you have done your own app.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...