Splunk Dev

python sdk and realtime search?

bfaber
Communicator

I am trying to get realtime streaming results using the python sdk. The code I was using looks like this:

auth.getSessionKey('admin','changeme')
args = {"earliestTime": 0, "latestTime": 0}
job = search.dispatch(' search *',**args)

for event in job:
  print  event['_raw']

print search
job.cancel()

No errors, but no results either. What am I doing wrong?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

bfaber
Communicator

Using the Job Inspector, I was able to reverse the kwargs...

args = {'time_format': '%s.%Q', 'search': 'search *', 'required_field_list': '*', 'max_count': '10000', 'ui_dispatch_app': 'search', 'latest_time': 'rt', 'status_buckets': '300', 'ui_dispatch_view': 'flashtimeline', 'earliest_time': 'rt-1m', 'auto_cancel': '100'}

This changes the search line to be:

job = search.dispatch(**args)

This all seems to work, but is probably more complex than needed.

View solution in original post

psanford_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is also a new Splunk Python SDK on GitHub. You can access it here: https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python

There are a number of search examples in the SDK.

Any questions - psanford@splunk.com or ping us on Twitter: @splunkdev

0 Karma

bfaber
Communicator

Using the Job Inspector, I was able to reverse the kwargs...

args = {'time_format': '%s.%Q', 'search': 'search *', 'required_field_list': '*', 'max_count': '10000', 'ui_dispatch_app': 'search', 'latest_time': 'rt', 'status_buckets': '300', 'ui_dispatch_view': 'flashtimeline', 'earliest_time': 'rt-1m', 'auto_cancel': '100'}

This changes the search line to be:

job = search.dispatch(**args)

This all seems to work, but is probably more complex than needed.

Lowell
Super Champion

Have you tried adding rt to your earliest/lastest times?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...