Splunk Dev

Python script. Module not loading when executed by splunk

ryan461
Explorer

I have a python script on our splunk server to ingest data from a database using pymssql and _mssql. I added this script through the web gui in Manager > Data Inputs > Scripts. I can run the script manually just fine. But when its executed by splunk, in the splunkd logs it says ImportError: No module named _mssql.

The pymssql/_mssql package was installed manually.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk uses it's own python to execute scripts. So if Splunk Python doesn't know about _mssql, it won't find it. Did you install _mssql to the file system? Try running manually with splunk cmd python /path/to/your/script. I got around that by using a sh script to call the python script with #!/usr/bin/python as the executable to use.

View solution in original post

asifhj
Path Finder

Guys,

Instead setting all those parameters and creating subproccess.
Simply copy your required packages/files from

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

to

/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I downvoted this post because this is not supported, and as a comment suggested, will break between upgrades (and also not be transferrable between systems)

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Possible, but if you upgrade, you may lose the files.

0 Karma

dalglish

I just use wrapper python script with non-splunk python with installed modules in scripted input. (taken from here) Something like that:

import os, sys
for envvar in ("PYTHONPATH", "LD_LIBRARY_PATH"):
    if envvar in os.environ:
        del os.environ[envvar]
python_executable = "D:\Python27\python.exe"
real_script = "path_to_script"
os.execv(python_executable, [ python_executable, real_script ] + sys.argv[1:])
0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk uses it's own python to execute scripts. So if Splunk Python doesn't know about _mssql, it won't find it. Did you install _mssql to the file system? Try running manually with splunk cmd python /path/to/your/script. I got around that by using a sh script to call the python script with #!/usr/bin/python as the executable to use.

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could, but I just use the python print command, and splunk eats it just fine. I used the exec command from the sh script and it works great.

0 Karma

ryan461
Explorer

That does get it to execute, the data being ingested was being printed, which splunk would read. But now that its a shell script executing it, i imagine ill have to write to a file or something?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...