Splunk Dev

Assigning multiple roles to user with Python

datamann119
Engager

I'm writing Python script that assigns multiple roles to a user, but having difficulty understanding what the  'roles' data structure needs to look like. According to the REST documentation for authentication/users/{name}:

To assign multiple roles, pass in each role using a separate roles parameter value.
For example, -d roles="role1", -d roles="role2".

In Postman, I can successfully construct a request with multiple 'roles' parameters to produce the result I want, which is to assign multiple roles to the user.  In Python, my code looks like this:

(response, content) = h.request(HOST + URL + OUTPUT_MODE, 'POST', headers=HEADERS,                          body=urllib.parse.urlencode({'roles':'admin','roles':'user'}))

But the end result is that the user is only assigned the 'user' role, presumably because the 'body' data structure ends up being a dictionary with a single key: {'roles':'user'}

Anybody know what is the right Python data structure to pass to urlencode so that I can add multiple roles to the user in a single POST?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

jcraumer
Explorer

Hurricane Labs did a sample demo regarding changing user permissions with a dashboard and custom endpoints.  

https://hurricanelabs.com/splunk-tutorials/splunk-custom-endpoints-part-3-posting-the-data/

I think the endpoint posting is included in part three, video 7 & 8, about cleaning and posting the data to python.  This is a good example demo as it needed to be slightly updated in certain parts to work correctly making it a nice tutorial with some trouble shooting involved.  

Aside from that aspect it shows the required format that can be used to send a user name with multiple roles assigned to update the Splunk ACL backend.  

Hopefully this helps solve your issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...