Knowledge Management

How to extract the csv fields at index-time?

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

hi all,
i'm trying extract the fields from the csv files and my csv file is looks like this,

just want to extract all fields at index-time only.

field1,filed2,-,-,-,etc

and my props.conf is
[sourcetype]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV
FIELD_DELIMITER = ,
HEADER_FIELD_DELIMITER = ,

but this is not successful, am i missing something ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS feature, unlike most index-time-related features, actually happens on the UF. So your props.conf must be sent to your UF and Splunk restarted there.

View solution in original post

ashajambagi
Communicator

@rajasekhar14 Where have you placed your props.conf? can you show the stanza in inputs.conf.

Refer this link - https://answers.splunk.com/answers/719666/data-not-getting-extracted-correctly-as-per-csv.html

0 Karma

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

@ashajambagi here is the my inputs.conf
[monitor:/D:\mytest/splunk.csv]
sourcetype=test
index=myindex
crcSalt =
initCrcLength = 256

0 Karma

ashajambagi
Communicator

Check the format for this : [monitor:/D:\mytest/splunk.csv]

[sourcetype] #have you mentioned test here instead of sourcetype?
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV
FIELD_DELIMITER = ,
HEADER_FIELD_DELIMITER = ,

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS feature, unlike most index-time-related features, actually happens on the UF. So your props.conf must be sent to your UF and Splunk restarted there.

biko
Engager

thanks woodcok, this saved my day, at least what was left of it after struggling for hours.

This behaviour seems very counter-intuitive; I am used to the concept of UFs beeing dumb and having no notion of events

0 Karma

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

@woodcock, as per all your suggestions i placed these settings in UF and restarted it, but now no luck.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What do you mean "no luck" exactly?

Is your data coming in to splunk? If so, then it definitely is working.
With INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS it is ALL or NONE.
I suspect that you expect this change to fix data that is already in wrong. It will NOT do that. You have to send NEW data in, and then it should work. If data is not coming in, then the only thing that might be causing you a problem is that your sourcetype does not match or your Timestamping is wrong so the events are ending up in a timeframe that you did not expect. Try a timepicker with All time to check for the latter.

0 Karma

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

@woodcock now its working. previously it didn't deployed to UF. i have a question that why we need to deployed to UF only? in my case UF is forwarding to HF, and HF is forwarding to Indexers. So my all parsing is happening in HF level to avoid load on Indexers.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Parsing on HF swaps CPU load for port I/O load and a different CPU load in that payload per event is much fatter and is very inefficient. See here:

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/12/12/universal-or-heavy-that-is-the-question.html

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rajasekhar14

Your config looks correct. Just make sure this props.conf file Is on the universal forwarder and not the indexer.

All the best

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

once i deployed these settings to UF its working

0 Karma

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

Hi Chris,
I haven’t deployed to UF, because we have HF in place between Indexers and UFs. So I deployed to HF.

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Confusingly, CSV indexed extractions actually happen on the universal forwarder. It needs to be done here becuase it needs to use the header of the file regularly so it knows the column names.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No I don't think so. However it doesn't harm to have it there.

0 Karma

rajasekhar14
Path Finder

Chris, we are parsing at HF level, so I deployed tob HF.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...