Installation

SMI error converting MIB to Python egg

tchristoff
Explorer

Hello, new to Splunk here. Having some issues converting a SonicWall MIB to the python egg format.

Here was my input:
"#build-pysnmp-mib -o SONICWALL-FIREWALL-TRAP-MIB.py SONICWALL-FIREWALL-TRAP-MIB.MIB"

Output:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/libsmi2pysnmp", line 4, in < module >

import pkg_resources

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 3007, in < module >

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 728, in require

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 626, in resolve

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pycrypto>=2.4.1

smidump -k -f python SONICWALL-FIREWALL-TRAP-MIB.MIB | /usr/bin/libsmi2pysnmp fails

make sure you are using libsmi version > 0.4.5 (or svn)

The libsmi version: libsmi-0.4.8-4.el6.x86_64

could anyone point me in the right direction on what I should do next?

Tags (1)

andarnold

Have you enabled the EPEL repository? I had some success installing python-pip from that repo and using pip install to install the requisite modules.

0 Karma

pmeyerson
Path Finder

I was getting the same error, running on a centOS box.

Here is what I did to address the issue. Please take in mind I am not a linux expert by any means, not sure if it would be OK to perform these steps on any production environment.

1. Downloaded pycrypto-2.6 and untar
  2. cd to pycrypto-2.6 and run python setup.py install to install module

I then had to do the same thing for pyans1.
This allowed me to combile .py files from my standard .MIB files.
(However I still got an error when I tried to use them with snmp modular input)

pmeyerson
Path Finder

I guess this is more of a python issue... I was able to compile my .pyc files but now I get this error:
pysnmp.smi.error.SmiError: MIB module "E:\Splunk\etc\apps\snmp_ta\bin\mibs\WWP-LEOS-TRAFFIC-PROFILE-MIB.py" load error: importSymbols: empty MIB module name

thanks for any suggestions

0 Karma

pmeyerson
Path Finder

My error message is: "python E:\Splunk\etc\apps\snmp_ta\bin\snmp.py" pysnmp.smi.error.SmiError: MIB file "WWP-TRAFFIC-PROFILE-MIB.py[co]" not found in search path

I have a WWP-TRAFFIC-PROFILE-MIB.py and .egg file present. However my egg does not contain any .pyc files.
Am I missing a step in the build/compile process?
Doing my development on a centOS box, and splunk is installed on a windows box.

thx

0 Karma

Jaykul
Explorer

What sort of error? Mine are working (although I had to drop the py/pyc loose in the folder, haven't been able to get an .egg to work) 😉

0 Karma

Jaykul
Explorer

If you can get smidump to work, then build-pysnmp-mib will work. Try running smidump by itself -- chances are you don't even have smidump available, but if you do, it should give you a more specific error (particularly if you leave off the -k):

smidump .\SONICWALL-FIREWALL-TRAP-MIB.MIB

If that fails, the MIB probably depends on other MIBs which aren't in your SMIPATH (try setting that environment variable to where you have your .MIB files, or create a $HOME/.smirc file defining path=/where/you/have/your/mibs )

If you don't have smidump, you can install it (even on OSX, if you've got your xcode & gnu tools set up) from http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/download/libsmi-current.tar.gz using ./configure && make install

halr9000
Motivator

smidump fails with the same error for me on OSX. I have pycrypto 2.6 installed. Any other ideas?

0 Karma

tchristoff
Explorer

So it is looking like from the distro im using it will not work. As a work around I will try on a higher version of RHEL. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma

tchristoff
Explorer

Am working on a CentOS box, and I will try upgrading python-crypto package, seems the yum repo thinks its latest ver.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Question are you doing this on a Windows Box? Personally I have never been able to get build-pysnmp-mib to work on any Windows Python install. My work around has been to run a cygwin install or on nix box. Dont know if that is your problem.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

DistributionNotFound: pycrypto>=2.4.1

Have you addressed this error ? ie : upgrade your pycrypto version.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...