Installation

Licensing issue

kyawsoenaing

Hi,

I need some advise.

Currently I in mid of migration and getting license issue in 3 new index servers.
My environment as below.
Current splunk server are stand alone with all in one. New splunk servers implement as one master node and 3 indexers.
I have some servers data have been index to new 3 indexers.
Currently i have add the search peer at Current server to new 3 indexers.
I would like to assign license to new 3 indexers.
Current I have 2 licenses. First one is using in current server and second one is not using yet(for future used for DR server).

My question as below.
- Should I add license manager role to new master node server and add second license then create license pool to add current and 3 new indexers? After migration, I will put back first license.
- Should I add license manager role to new master node server and add second license then create license pool to add 3 new indexers?
- Should I create license pool at current server and add in current server and 3 new index servers?
-Any other way should I need to do?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi kyawsoenaing,

Please note that all cluster members must share:
- The same licensing pool
- The same licensing configuration
So, your cluster master and three indexers should be in the same licensing pool.
Also, Splunk recommends that you dedicate a host for each role, but you can enable multiple Splunk server roles - license master, deployer, deployment server - on a server with caveats.
I suggest the following license migration steps:
1. install a new Splunk instance on a server or VM as a dedicated license master. To add a license to a License Master, run:

splunk add licenses {path_to_license_file}
  1. Switch the license master and three indexers to a license slave. Run this command on each slave.

splunk edit licenser-localslave -master_uri https://{Lic_Master:Mport}

2. To check the list of license slaves, run this command on the license master:

splunk list licenser-slaves

Of course, if you really want to also use the cluster master as a license master, I think you can, but it's not recommended. As to the second license, you can stack onto your first license on your license master.
Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hunter

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi kyawsoenaing,

Please note that all cluster members must share:
- The same licensing pool
- The same licensing configuration
So, your cluster master and three indexers should be in the same licensing pool.
Also, Splunk recommends that you dedicate a host for each role, but you can enable multiple Splunk server roles - license master, deployer, deployment server - on a server with caveats.
I suggest the following license migration steps:
1. install a new Splunk instance on a server or VM as a dedicated license master. To add a license to a License Master, run:

splunk add licenses {path_to_license_file}
  1. Switch the license master and three indexers to a license slave. Run this command on each slave.

splunk edit licenser-localslave -master_uri https://{Lic_Master:Mport}

2. To check the list of license slaves, run this command on the license master:

splunk list licenser-slaves

Of course, if you really want to also use the cluster master as a license master, I think you can, but it's not recommended. As to the second license, you can stack onto your first license on your license master.
Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hunter

0 Karma

kyawsoenaing

Hi hunters,

Thank you.
May I know why cluster master not recommended as license master?

kyawsoenaing

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well, mostly for cluster master performance reasons. Actually, if you are planning a central license master, Splunk recommends that if you have a search head, you designate it as the license master. See details here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Admin/Configurealicensemaster#Kinds_of_license_mas....
Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...