Monitoring Splunk

How do you verify when data is received and locally available for ingestion within a certain time frame?

maryamchar
Explorer

hello,

I'm new to Splunk and trying to find a way to do the following: the time between when something shows up on the file system and when Splunk ingests that file .

So basically, i want a way to see when the data is received and is locally available for ingestion. And then, I want to calculate the time it takes for ingestion and see if it's less than 5 minutes.

I'm using Splunk Query Search only. Please provide me with an easy way to calculate that. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Vijeta
Influencer

Usually your date timestamp in logs will be the _time field value in Splunk. And _indextime will be the actual time when data was ingested in Splunk. You can compare _time and _indextime fields and see if the difference is more than 5 minutes.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

Thank you! Could you please explain the difference between the _time and _indextime. I'm still a little confuse.
I want to find an easy way to know when the data got ingested to Splunk and when did it shows up on the system for searching. Again thank you!

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Usually your date timestamp in logs will be the _time field value in Splunk. And _indextime will be the actual time when data was ingested in Splunk. You can compare _time and _indextime fields and see if the difference is more than 5 minutes.

0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

Thank you! is there another way to monitor when the data got ingested to Splunk (with time) and when it's available for the user ?

I'm trying to find a way when data recieved and is avilable for me for ingestion, and i have to ingest those data within 5 minutes. I'm sorry if my question is unlcear. I found the site below but not sure if it's the right way or not.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.3/Troubleshooting/Troubleshootingeventsindexingdela...

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

_time is the DateTimeStamp configuration for your log files which is configured in props.conf at indexer or heaxy forwarder. Usually it is taken from the date timestamp in the logs or file you are ingesting.
_indextime is the actual time when data is ingested into Splunk.

It can be that the datetimestamp in your logs are different from actual time the logs got ingested into splunk due to latency or the way datetimestamp is configured.

As soon as the data is ingested into Splunk it will be available to the users.

0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

Thank you! So if i have somthing like this :
source = " " sourcetype = " " index = " " | eval delay_sec=_indextime-_time | timechart min(delay_sec) avg(delay_sec) max(delay_sec) by host

Is there a way to show a chart or a table where it shows me the differnce in time. when i tried the above it doesn't show me the differnce in time. it gives weird values such as 991618 and i don't understand what that value mean. Thank you!

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.3/Troubleshooting/Troubleshootingeventsindexingdela...

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

The time is in seconds. You can sue stats instead of timechart

|stats min(delay_sec) avg(delay_sec) max(delay_sec) by host

0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...