All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk support Redhat chkconfig?

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

I have a Scientific Linux 6.1 server. I want Splunk to start upon boot, and I want to start/stop/restart Splunk using standard utilities like /sbin/service.

What is the proper way to use chkconfig with the Splunk binaries? Does Splunk provide a standardized startup script that I can place in /etc/init.d/? I cannot find an answer to this under http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk

It appears that Splunk supports chkconfig. If I do strings splunk I see that the binary does contain the string chkconfig.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, run splunk enable boot-start as root, and it will put a launcher script in /etc/init.d and add it to chkconfig.

View solution in original post

mwitt_secret
Engager

On some nodes (amazon linux) you'll need to add a hint for chkconfig to manage it
add this (with the comment #)

chkconfig: 2345 20 80

to the end of the comments in /etc/init.d/splunk

chkconfig can then manage the service,

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, run splunk enable boot-start as root, and it will put a launcher script in /etc/init.d and add it to chkconfig.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...