All Apps and Add-ons

splunkd.log filling up with "Exception resolving source address/domain of the trap" messages...

sharumpe

I am implemening SNMP Modular Input to receive SNMP events from some Cisco WLC devices. In addition to having a great deal of trouble converting the MIBs to .py format, I am seeing this several times a second in splunkd.log:

01-08-2014 10:51:11.135 -0800 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/snmp_ta/bin/snmp.py" Exception resolving source address/domain of the trap: not all arguments converted during string formatting snmp_stanza:snmp://WLC_SNMP_Catcher snmp_destination:None snmp_port:161

This looks like it is referring to the polling function, but I am not interested in polling -- just listening. Am I misunderstanding what should be going on (I am new to SNMP) or do I just have something misconfigured? Here is my configuration stanza from apps/search/local/inputs.conf:

[snmp://WLC_SNMP_Catcher]
do_bulk_get = 0
index = telecom_logs
ipv6 = 0
listen_traps = 1
snmp_version = 2C
sourcetype = rawsnmptraps
split_bulk_output = 0
trap_port = 10162
v3_authProtocol = usmHMACMD5AuthProtocol
v3_privProtocol = usmDESPrivProtocol
disabled = 0
trap_host = 0.0.0.0
mib_names = SNMPv2-SMI
host = WLC

I should clarify that I am receiving data just fine (though, since I don't have the Cisco MIBs converted, it is all showing raw OIDs), but I would like to keep from spamming my logs with the above message.

As an aside, if anyone has already successfully converted the Cisco MIBs, I'd love to know how (I get lots of errors) or to grab a copy of the .py or .egg file(s).

Thanks,
Tim

Tags (1)
0 Karma

asealey
Engager

I encountered this error as well, in my case it was because the transportDomain and transportAddress returned at line 245 of snmp_ta/bin/snmp.py are tuples, not strings, and the exception is thrown when python attempts to convert the tuple to a string.

To fix it, I modified the script to dereference the first element in the tuple.

(Not enough Karma to post the file, so posted the patch file to gist: https://gist.github.com/asealey/e618ea97e702a91077f5)

HTH,
A

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...