All Apps and Add-ons

'pan_firewall' datamodel missing the 'log.app:category' field

_smp_
Builder

I found some of the Web Activity dashboard panels are not being populated. After digging into it a bit, I discovered that the 'log.app:category' field has no values. Digging deeper, I'm not finding that field extraction in the app or the add-on. I am running Splunk 7.0.2, app/addon version 6.1.1. Anyone know how that field is supposed to be extracted or calculated?

0 Karma

panguy
Contributor

Have you configured the Firewall/panorama credentials into Splunk?

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, would you mind being a bit more explicit? I am getting events, so it seems like the answer is yes I have configured the firewall credentials. But maybe I am not looking at the same thing you are thinking about.

0 Karma

panguy
Contributor

The app metadata is extracted from the content packs on the Firewall itself. This field does not come down with the logs. Look at "Update App and Threat Metadata from Content Pack " for more information on how this is done.
https://splunk.paloaltonetworks.com/lookups.html

In order to pull the content packs the Firewall needs to be configured with a user that has API access. That user information is then set on the configuration screen from Splunk_TA_paloalto

Take a look at "Firewall/Panorama API Configuration " which explains how to set this up.
https://splunk.paloaltonetworks.com/firewalls-panorama-and-traps.html

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

I have re-configured the authentication settings and confirmed both saved searches 'Palo Alto Networks - Retrieve ContentPack Apps' and 'Palo Alto Networks - Retrieve ContentPack Threats' are returning results. The resulting lookup tables are populated. But the dashboard is still not populating. When I run '| datamodel pan_firewall search' , I see values for the 'log.app:category' field. But the main search behind the Web Activity dashboard uses '|tstats' and as soon as I add the 'log.app:category' field into the GROUPBY field list, the results go away.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...