All Apps and Add-ons

nmon2csv.pl not running?

pverbruggen2

Hi,

We installed the NMON app on our indexer/searchhead and the TA on one of our universal forwarders running AIX (no Python installed). We checked and rechecked the configuration but can't seem to get any data in index=nmon except this:

12/2/14 7:51:27.000 PM starting nmon : /usr/bin/nmon -f -T -A -d -K -L -M -P -^ -s 10 -c 6 in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/var/nmon_temp

There is data in the directory TA-nmon/var/nmon-temp and TA-nmon/var/nmon_repository, but never in var/csv_repository. Also, the var/spool directory does not get created until I manually start the script from the bin directory: "cat .nmon | nmon2csv.pl". At that point the csv_repository directory is populated with files and those are correctly indexed.

We have the standard inputs.conf and props.conf (except for the nmon2csv.pl instead of nmon2csv.py) and we can't install Python on the AIX machine, not even for testing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Peter

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Sometimes it seems splunk has some difficulties on AIX with props rex matching and paths using variables.

Can you please try:

On the UF (or on the deploy server if you are using one), create a local/props.conf that will contains:

[source::/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/var/nmon_repository/*.nmon]

invalid_cause = archive
unarchive_cmd = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/bin/nmon2csv.pl
sourcetype = nmon_processing
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true

Restart the UF and check sourcetype content in the indexer:

index=non earliest="0" latest="now" | stats count by sourcetype

One question, when you manually run the "nmon2csv.pl", it generates the csv data in csv_repository and config_repository, you say it is then indexed as expected, so you have data in "nmon_data" sourcetype and "nmon_config" right ?

If not, try creating a local/inputs.conf and replace the call to $SPLUNK_HOME by the full path, and restart

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello Peter,

I will be pleased to help solve the problem.

Can we exchange by mail ? You can contact me through the App Home Page. (i'm the author of the Nmon App)

Thanks.

Guilhem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...