All Apps and Add-ons

nix_errors casting too wide a net?

michaelgardner
Explorer

Splunk newbie question, I think.

We have a medium-sized heterogeneous (in terms of OS) environment. We are getting non-errors reported with the "nix_errors" eventtype and also the "nix-log-files" eventtype, though the log files are actually on a Windows server. These eventtypes are defined from the "Splunk for Unix and Linux" App.

The "nix_errors" eventtype is defined as:

NOT sourcetype=stash error OR critical OR failure OR fail OR failed OR fatal

What's the proper way for me to handle this? Suppressing the eventtype throws out too much.

• Change the definition of the eventtypes in the Manager? (Will my changes be lost on an upgrade?) I think I would add an os_type tag and then reference that in the eventtypes.

• um .... leave it as is?

• Better option that I'm not aware of?

I don't want to uninstall the App. It's useful elsewhere.

Thanks,
Mike

0 Karma
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The nix_errors eventtype is too broad, agreed. You could do a few things:

1. Turn off global sharing for this eventtype in Manager
  2. Change the eventtype to be scoped to your unix data (e.g. index=os sourcetype=stash error OR ...)

View solution in original post

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The nix_errors eventtype is too broad, agreed. You could do a few things:

1. Turn off global sharing for this eventtype in Manager
  2. Change the eventtype to be scoped to your unix data (e.g. index=os sourcetype=stash error OR ...)

michaelgardner
Explorer

Thanks, araitz. The removal of the global scope for the eventtypes has really cut down the noise.

Aside: exptremely tedious to change the 100+ *NIX eventtypes via the GUI. I'm sure there was a better way via the .conf files. Planning to enroll in some Splunk Admin courses.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...