All Apps and Add-ons

loadingText issue

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

I have loadingText param set for a HTML module. It worked for few minutes on my dashboard and then vanished. Please help

<module name="HTML">
  <param name="loadingText"> Loading..</param>
  <param name="html"> $results[0].Message$ </param>
    <module name="SimpleResultsTable" layoutPanel="panel_row4_col1">
        <param name="displayRowNumbers">off</param>
        <param name="count">250</param>
        <param name="drilldown">none</param>
    </module>

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's actually a bug in the HTML module. It does actually display the loadingText, substituting it in for the $results[N].fieldName$ tokens at certain times, but not really at the most sensible points, such that it's only visible for a tiny fraction of a second.

I can try and fix this. It's been the case for years. I've noticed it myself but to be honest you're the first person to report it. 😃

In the meantime, if there's one specific $results[N].fieldName$ token you'd like to get a fallback "Loading..." string into, you could try using an explicit ValueSetter further upstream... I'm not sure but it might help make the string visible earlier.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's actually a bug in the HTML module. It does actually display the loadingText, substituting it in for the $results[N].fieldName$ tokens at certain times, but not really at the most sensible points, such that it's only visible for a tiny fraction of a second.

I can try and fix this. It's been the case for years. I've noticed it myself but to be honest you're the first person to report it. 😃

In the meantime, if there's one specific $results[N].fieldName$ token you'd like to get a fallback "Loading..." string into, you could try using an explicit ValueSetter further upstream... I'm not sure but it might help make the string visible earlier.

ma_anand1984
Contributor

Hey Nick,

That helps. Though, we don't face any issues with the same code in our lower environment(env). This comes only at our production env. We use splunk 5.0.5.1 and SV 2.4.10 in both env. And when i open and save the code once without changing anything. It works for some time.

Value setter is working, but its("Loading..." txt) not hiding after the dynamic values are available.
Anand

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I just mean that near the top of that config you would have

<module name="ValueSetter">
  <param name="name">results[0].Message</param>
  <param name="value">Loading...</param>

There is no special meaning to the array syntax here - ValueSetter has no idea that the simple string key it's sending down kinda looks like a multivalue key.

Thus before the HTML module has a dynamic value to display and before the loadingText kicks in, it'll display that static value.

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Thanks Nick, Can you please shed more light on the work around?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...