All Apps and Add-ons

license usage alerts

nicco
Explorer

This is the reference that I'm looking at:
http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Community:TroubleshootingIndexedDataVolume

Specifically this search:

index=_internal source=*license_usage* pool="default" | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | stats sum(GB) by pool | where sum(GB) > 0.3

And I get this error:

Error in 'where' command: The 'sum' function is unsupported or undefined.

Relating to this part of the search:

where sum(GB) > 0.3

So, I look up the search manual and there is in fact no sum function to the where command. I've tried a bunch of variations and I'm not getting the expected result.

Can anyone shed any light on where I'm going wrong (and fix the doco)

Thanks.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The correct syntax is either:

index=_internal source=license_usage pool="default" | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | stats sum(GB) by pool | where 'sum(GB)' > 0.3

i.e., single quote sum(GB). It is not a function. It is a variable name that was created by stats. You could also use:

index=_internal source=license_usage pool="default" | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | stats sum(GB) as sumGB by pool | where sumGB > 0.3

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...