All Apps and Add-ons

dbconnect unable to make unecrypted connection

PeaceHealthDan

On Splunk Enterprise 9.2 and  DBConnect 3.17.2

I'm in the process of replacing our old Splunk instance, and with the new version of DBConnect, I seem to be unable to disable SSL ecryption on connection to the database.

It's a Microsoft MS-SQL database. I connect using the generic MS SQL driver. I do not have "Enable SSL" checked, I have encrypt=false in the jdbc URL:

jdbc:sqlserver://phmcmdb01:1433;databaseName=CM_PHE;selectMethod=cursor;encrypt=false

and yet, it cannot connect, throwing the error

"encrypt" property is set to "false" and "trustServerCertificate" property is set to "false" but the driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption: Error: SQL Server did not return a response. 

The old system running DBConnect 3.1.4 on Splunk Enterprise 7.3.2 can connect just fine without ssl enabled. 

Why is DBConnect insisting on attempting an SSL connection? The SQL server is obviously not requiring it, or the old server would not work. Or is this a false error message and diverting me from some other problem?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not about DBConnect itself. It's about JDBC, becaus that's what's responsible for the actual connection. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/jdbc/setting-the-connection-properties

There is an interesting paragraph in authentication parameter description which might pertain to you.

0 Karma

Meett
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello @PeaceHealthDan @aavyu20 , Can you try to add "trustServerCertificate=true" parameter to your JDBC URL and check how it goes? If that doesn’t work try to use MS-SQL Server using MS Generic Driver & MS Generic Driver with Windows Authentication

0 Karma

aavyu20
Engager

@PeaceHealthDan 
Unforturnate to find no replies to your query. I too have similar issue with DBConnect app version (3.18.0).

Did you find a solution to your problem? or still persists?  

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New Case Study: How LSU’s Student-Powered SOCs and Splunk Are Shaping the Future of ...

Louisiana State University (LSU) is shaping the next generation of cybersecurity professionals through its ...

Splunk and Fraud

Join us on November 13 at 11 am PT / 2 pm ET!Join us for an insightful webinar where we delve into the ...

Build Your First SPL2 App!

Watch the recording now!.Do you want to SPL™, too? SPL2, Splunk's next-generation data search and preparation ...