All Apps and Add-ons

complex search logic with SideView HTML

klee310
Communicator

Hi Nick,

I'm back again with another rather complex dashboard requirement. To simplify things, let me first lay-out the hierarchy for the troublesome section:

<module name="Search"> ...
  <module name="HTML / Table">...
    <module name="Search2">...
      <module name="Table/Chart/etc..">

1) the first Search-module is essentially the populating-search - for 4 single-values, which are to be displayed using the enclosed HTML-module (this part is OK, I have no difficulties displaying the data nor any issues with styling)
2) the second Search-module (here is the issue/problem I can't seem to wrap my head around) - needs to search based on upstream-context, for example, which of the 4 single-values were clicked - something like a drill-down behavior for the HTML-module

Naturally, my initial instinct tells me I need a drill-down behavior; something like what a Table-module has - so initially I have a Table instead of the HTML-module, and some cleaver css-styles to make it look like single-values... however with this direction, I fear I'll hit a wall when defining the second Search-module search string due to the complex downstream variables I need to pass....

Which is why I thought of using an HTML-module instead.

Very comfortable using custom-css and customBehavior - already have my .js and .css files on stand-by; if things need to get as tricky as REST/Python API/custom-command - I'm up for that too; just hoping there might be something I'm overlooking.

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated

(edit: just read this, and it seems I'm not the only person looking for something in this direction; very interested in the solutions provided, especially the one involving customBehavior - in my case however, I am happy to dispatch all 4 searches and use [css] display: show/hide based on the clicked-HTML-div)

(2nd edit: lol... I just stumbled on the SideView Tabs-module - and I think it might just work for what I'm trying to do... a little css-styling and I might be able to make it look just right)

klee310
Communicator

For those wonder what I ended up doing... here it is:

&lt;module name="Search"&gt; ...
  &lt;module name="HTML"&gt; ...
    &lt;module name="Search"&gt; ...
      &lt;module name="Table"&gt;&lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;...&lt;/module&gt;&lt;/module&gt;
    &lt;module name="Search"&gt;...
      &lt;module name="Table"&gt;&lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;...&lt;/module&gt;&lt;/module&gt;

1) the first search-module populates the first html-module - which essentially contains the 4 items to be clicked; inside css, changed the cursor to "pointer" for each of the <div> tags, added a :hover style so that the div looks like a button; and added an 'onclick' attribute to the <div> - that way, when the div is clicked, I can respond to it from js

2) the subsequent 4 blocks of Search/Table modules will dispatch immediately, but are hidden from view using js/css - essentially, onload - adds a css-class (ie. display: none;) to each of the blocks

3) from the function responding to the onclick-event, I just pass in additional arguments so I know which of the blocks to display

I guess it might be a little hard to understand from my vague explanation, so here is some sample code:

in my .js file

Sideview.utils.declareCustomBehavior("qm_customKPIresults", function(htmlModule) {
    var methodReference = htmlModule.onContextChange.bind(htmlModule);
    htmlModule.onContextChange = function() {
        console.log("hello customBehavior [qm_customKPIresults]");
        // hide results-table
        $(".panel_row15_col").css("display", "none");
        $(".customKPItable").addClass("hideResults");
        return methodReference();
  }
});

function customKPIresults_clicked(e, s)
{
    console.log("hello function [customKPIresults_clicked]");
    // make sure the panel is visible
    $(".panel_row15_col").css("display", "block");

// figure out which of the 4 single-values to highlight
    $(".customKPIresults").removeClass("customKPIresults_selected");
    $("." + e.classList[1]).addClass("customKPIresults_selected");

// hide all results-table
    $(".customKPItable").addClass("hideResults");

// show only the result-table for associated clicked-item
    $("." + s).removeClass("hideResults");
}

the css part

.customKPIresults
{
  border-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3); border-radius: 5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
  cursor: pointer; float: left; margin: 0px 10px; padding: 0px 5px;
  width: 150px;
}
.customKPIresults:hover { background: gainsboro; }
.customKPIresults label { font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; }
.customKPIresults p { font-size: 20px; margin: 5px 0px; text-align: center; }
.customKPIresults_selected { background: yellow; }
.panel_row15_col { min-height: 300px; }
.hideResults { display: none !important; }

sample html for 1 of the 4 click-items:

&lt;div class="customKPIresults kpi_ap_count" onclick="customKPIresults_clicked(this, 'my_css_class1')"&gt;
  &lt;label&gt;my label text&lt;/label&gt;
  &lt;p&gt;$some-result-from-upstream-search$&lt;/p&gt;

1 of the 4 Search/Table result blocks

&lt;module name="Search" layoutPanel="panel_row15_col1"&gt;
  &lt;param name="search"&gt;some SPL here&lt;/param&gt;
  &lt;module name="Table"&gt;
    &lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;customKPItable my_css_class1&lt;/param&gt;
  &lt;/module&gt;
&lt;/module&gt;
&lt;/div&gt;

questions and comments welcome.

0 Karma

klee310
Communicator

sorry for the escaped html tags... can't figure out why I got it to display properly in the question, but its messed up in the answer

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm glad you figured it out before I made it back to answer.

This is a bit of a hard road that you took. Kudos for sure!
As you later figured out for yourself, the Tabs module is a decent alternative here, particularly if you can hit it with the CSS stick a bit.

But another one that you might not have thought of, is to use Link modules instead of your HTML modules, and Gate modules.

Gate is a little terrifying, but it's very powerful. You could have each Link contain a ValueSetter, and then a Gate. The Gate modules act as little teleporters and in spirit they allow a set of drilldown config to have more than one chain of upstream modules.

Specifically, each of the 4 valueSetters would set the same differentiating token to a different value, and each of the 4 Gate's would have &lt;param name="to"&gt;downstreamBlock&lt;/param&gt;. then all the stuff "downstream" from these four link blocks wouldn't actually be downstream at all technically. Rather you'd have a fifth Gate module with &lt;param name="id"&gt;downstreamBlock&lt;/param&gt; at the top level of the hierarchy, but in a dashboard panel lower down on the page. There are examples of this sort of config in Sideview Utils - start with the Gate docs and examples. You might find a hidden testcase view as well to rummage around in.

klee310
Communicator

Thanks Nick for the insights.

I didn't know the Link-module can be used in this way. I am already very familiar with the Gate-module as it was used extensively in one of my previous requirement - not sure if you remember, but you helped me out in that one too..

So what you are saying is, the Link-module can be used to set context; instead of navigating to another page? I always just assumed that was what a "Link" was... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info

(edit: quick update, I just looked at the doc on my sv instance 3.3.2, and there really isn't much to see, probably because the doc is a little incomplete; a lot of TBD - also its labeled: Prototype module... am I too outdated? maybe I need to update my sv)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...