All Apps and Add-ons

With the Splunk Add-on for Kafka, where can I see the consumer lag?

kbcisco

It appears that the consumer offset is not stored in Kafka or Zookeeper. Where is it stored? How can I tell how far behind (if at all) Splunk is in reading messages from a topic?

Aside:
The Splunk Modular Input for Kafka stores the offset in Kafka or Zookeeper so that the Kafka tools can be used to find the consumer offset. However, that input seems MUCH slower (20x) than Splunk Add-on for Kafka

0 Karma

kbcisco

Please answer:

I should not have mentioned The Splunk Modular Input for Kafka in the same question.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

However, that input seems MUCH slower (20x)

Well , perhaps you have not configured your setup for https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1817/ optimally/correctly for performance ,ie: multi threading ,memory limits, data output to Splunk , horizontal scalability etc... are some things that come to mind.

Multi Threading : to achieve this you setup up multiple Kafka stanzas in inputs.conf pointing to the same topic. Each stanza will run in it's own thread in the same JVM Mod Input instance

#global settings

[kafka]
group_id = my_test_group
index = main
sourcetype = kafka
topic_name = test
zookeeper_connect_host = localhost
zookeeper_connect_port = 2181
zookeeper_session_timeout_ms = 400
zookeeper_sync_time_ms = 200
output_type = stdout

#each polling thread , all run in the same JVM instance, can inherit or override global settings

[kafka://kafka_test_thread_1]
disabled = 0

[kafka://kafka_test_thread_2]
disabled = 0

Memory Limits : you can increase the JVM memory in kafka_ta/bin/kafka.py
Data Output to Splunk : you can override STDOUT and use HEC for better "Mod Input to Splunk" pipeline throughput
Multi Processes : you can scale out multiple Mod Input instance horizontally for running in multiple processes (or many multi threaded instances in many multi processes)

0 Karma

kbcisco
[root@splunk-xl kafka_mod]# pwd
/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/kafka_mod

[root@splunk-xl kafka_mod]# ls -la
total 128
drwx------  2 root root 4096 Aug  1 21:05 .
drwx------. 4 root root 4096 Aug  1 19:08 ..
-rw-------  1 root root   82 Aug  1 21:05 a2Fma2EwOjkwOTIsa2Fma2ExOjkwOTIsa2Fma2EyOjkwOTI=_logs_0
-rw-------  1 root root   82 Aug  1 21:05 a2Fma2EwOjkwOTIsa2Fma2ExOjkwOTIsa2Fma2EyOjkwOTI=_logs_1
-rw-------  1 root root   83 Aug  1 21:05 a2Fma2EwOjkwOTIsa2Fma2ExOjkwOTIsa2Fma2EyOjkwOTI=_logs_10

[...]

[root@splunk-xl kafka_mod]# cat a2Fma2EwOjkwOTIsa2Fma2ExOjkwOTIsa2Fma2EyOjkwOTI=_logs_0
{"kafka_partition": 0, "kafka_topic": "logs", "kafka_partition_offset": 306627169}
0 Karma

kbcisco

Memory Limits - did that
Data Output to Splunk - getting BAD REQUEST from HEC because it doesn't handle some characters properly (fails every time when generating messages with heka-flood in ascii mode or kafka-consumer-perf-test) so cannot test with HEC
Multi Processes - did that

Getting 400 msg/ sec vs 17000 with splunk add-on

I have not seen any case studies which show what kind of performance can be expected with either Kafka consumer.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Did you setup Multi Threading correctly ? Memory boosting is intrinsically related to this.

Multi Processing ... I don't see how you could have deployed this correctly and not seen throughput increase.And I have seen countless deployments of this App.

"...getting BAD REQUEST from HEC because it doesn't handle some characters properly..." , can't help here unless you can provide more concise information to diagnose. Can you elaborate on "some characters" ?

Note : This is related to Splunk Modular Input for Kafka. I am not familiar with Splunk Add-on for Kafka.

0 Karma

kbcisco

Here is a capture of traffic between the Splunk Modular Input for Kafka and HEC. The quote before C3M is causing the json not to lint. This was generated from heka-flood with the ascii-only option on. Unfortunately, I did not capture the traffic from heka-flood to kafka or kafka to Splunk Modular Input for Kafka. Splunk Modular Input for Kafka fails consistently with traffic from heka-flood or the kafka provided consumer test.

POST /services/collector HTTP/1.1^M
Authorization: Splunk C28170BC-215A-44A8-8229-B05D708ECDD3^M
Content-Length: 425^M
Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8^M
Host: localhost:8088^M
Connection: Keep-Alive^M
User-Agent: Apache-HttpAsyncClient/4.1 (Java/1.7.0_101)^M
^M
{"event":"Tue Jul 19 20:34:48 UTC 2016 name=kafka_msg_received event_id= msg_body={\"logger\":\"\",\"type\":\"logfile\",\"tags\":[\"ih\",\"services\"],\"host\":\"pod.test.heka-sq05z\",\"message\":\"hekabench: pod.test.heka-sq05z - `U)G\\7{Cu| KYih@_E@@TU*:|cP\\"C3M <_M.r:B58eRNT![IbBoN(.7[6J,:w\/1\/+c+rZ\\#;Pi5>\\-\\yjo*7us<8.LHP4vb'0`3W\"}","source":"kbrown2-kafka-logs","time":"1468960488565","sourcetype":"infinitehome"}è<8e><8e>W-º^H^@m^A^@^@m^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^H^@E^@^A_-Á@^@@^F^MÖ^?^@^@^A^?^@^@^A^_<98>©äàVý<89>=ï    <80>^X^D^@ÿS^@^@^A^A^H
^EÍ´<84>^EÍ´<80>HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request^M
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 20:34:48 GMT^M
Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8^M
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff^M
Content-Length: 64^M
Connection: Keep-Alive^M
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN^M
Server: Splunkd^M
^M
{"text":"Invalid data format","code":6,"invalid-event-number":0}
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you share your inputs.conf so I can guide you on how to setting up multithreading correctly , which will then determine JVM heap size.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...