All Apps and Add-ons

With Splunk DB Connect v3, How do I reindex data when I have a rising column input?

raugugliaro

I have a Splunk DB Connect v3 input that is doing a "rising column" style input. How can I reset the input so it will reindex the same rows from the database for testing purposes? This would be analogous to removing the fishbucket subdirectory when trying to reindex a monitored file directory.

0 Karma
1 Solution

BMacher
Path Finder

There are two ways to reset the rising column:

1. UI > Splunk DB Connect > Data Lab > YourInputName alt text
  2. Reset the value in the file itself

Path:
    $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/server/splunk_app_db_connect folder/YourInputName

Change the most recent entry (tail):
    {"value":"842150477","appVersion":"3.1.1","columnType":-5,"timestamp":"2017-09-2 6T13:18:09.175+10:00"}
    to {"value":"0","appVersion":"3.1.1","columnType":-5,"timestamp":"2017-09-2 6T13:18:09.175+10:00"}
    (you may increase the time aswell)

View solution in original post

BMacher
Path Finder

There are two ways to reset the rising column:

1. UI > Splunk DB Connect > Data Lab > YourInputName alt text
  2. Reset the value in the file itself

Path:
    $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/server/splunk_app_db_connect folder/YourInputName

Change the most recent entry (tail):
    {"value":"842150477","appVersion":"3.1.1","columnType":-5,"timestamp":"2017-09-2 6T13:18:09.175+10:00"}
    to {"value":"0","appVersion":"3.1.1","columnType":-5,"timestamp":"2017-09-2 6T13:18:09.175+10:00"}
    (you may increase the time aswell)

pmalcakdoj
Path Finder

Small correction on the path of rising column file... it is at: $SPLUNK_DB/modinputs/server/splunk_app_db_connect folder/YourInputName

by default, $SPLUNK_DB points to $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk
by default, $SPLUNK_HOME points to /opt/splunk
.....but not always.
By the way, you can change the path of $SPLUNK_DB variable in your splunk-launch.conf file

BMacher
Path Finder

@pmalcakdoj, our paths point to the same directory.. yours is just shorter

0 Karma

pmalcakdoj
Path Finder

When splunk releases newer version, I backup/archive the entire $SPLUNK_HOME path before I perform the upgrade. The size of that archive gets out of hand rather quickly if you don't change your $SPLUNK_DB path. With default settings, you will be zipping up all of your indexes every time you do this since indexes are located inside the $SPLUNK_HOME by default.

I pointed my $SPLUNK_DB to be outside of splunk installation. This has several benefits:
- my $SPLUNK_HOME zip files are 700MB (as opposed to several TB due to size of my indexes)
- you can store your indexes on separate mount point (HDD for OS, SSD for splunk indexes)
- you can have indexes at the root of the partition instead of buried many folders deep (on Windows, path length is limited)

Your path will not work for people that have changed the $SPLUNK_DB location.
Mine is more accurate

0 Karma

DennisFFM
Explorer

You can manipulate the Checkpoint Value from Web or CLI (in the corresponding inputs.conf) and set it to a lower value from where you want to reindex your data.

Cheers!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...