All Apps and Add-ons

Why is host=$decideOnStartup for Splunk Stream, but not other events?

dokaas_2
Path Finder

I have several Windows servers that the host=$decideOnStartup, but other Windows events correctly provide the Windows host name.  

Any ideas why and how to correct this?

Labels (2)
Tags (3)

Dave_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Having only splunk stream show "$decideOnStartup" in the hostname of events, while other inputs correctly reflect the real hostname is a known bug in version 7.3.0 and earlier

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/StreamApp/7.3.0/ReleaseNotes/Knownissues 

Issue ID: STREAM-4641, STREAM-4635

When I installed version 7.4.0 and this problem vanished for my system.

0 Karma

Recyclops

I have updated to 7.4 and host still equals $decideOnStartup for all Stream logs.  Are there any input.conf file changes required?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dokaas_2,

Some modular inputs including streamfwd do not respect $decideOnStartup variable. 

I think you deleted $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local\inputs.conf file or delete host definition. Normally inputs gets the %COMPUTERNAME% environment variable to use as host field, but stream app.

As a resolution you should create inputs.conf on the forwarders that runs Stream add-on like below sample;

[default]
host = system_hostname

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...