All Apps and Add-ons

Why does DBConnect times out with MSSQL server hostnames?

Urbanpope
Explorer

Hi all.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a very annoying persistent issue.

DBX points to an MS SQL server cluster using a DNS host name in the connection string. Normally it works pretty well except for when there is a site change and a bunch of scheduled queries time out. The issue can be replicated in SQL Explorer but the timeouts can be quite inconsistent.

Tests on the search head server show that the host name is being resolved correctly and the server can connect to all resolved IPs. I did note the order of the resolved IPs is somewhat unpredictable and the IP for an offline node may be returned first.

My running theory is DBConnect is attempting to connect to the first resolved IP then failing with timeout before it's able to connect to one of the other IPs. Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way to reduce the connection timeout value?

I have found a number of posts on these boards relating to similar problems but they don't quite apply here.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...