All Apps and Add-ons

When will Chrony be supported?

mikaellindstrom

Hi,
what's the ETA for supporting Chrony in addition to NTP? As per the release notes, RHEL 7 and CENTOS 7 are supported, but the default network time protocol function is Chrony.

Btw. Went to the Splunkbase page for this add-on (which in general is very useful!) and the "File a case" link doesn't work.

Regards,
Mikael Lindstrom

0 Karma

nunoaragao
Explorer

Regarding TA nix >8.1 with support for Chrony, I'm deflated that any recent version does not attempt at having similar log events from systems with Chrony or systems with ntpdate. As most other scripts do with smart awk expressions.

Also, on systems with ntpdate BUT that run Chrony for time sync (hint: RHEL7), the script bypasses Chrony configuration. But this I managed to fix it myself by including lines 2 and 3:

if [ $FOUND_NTPDATE -eq 0 ] ; then
	echo "Found ntpdate command" >> $TEE_DEST
	if [ -f  /etc/chrony.conf ] ; then        # Special
		CONFIG=/etc/chrony.conf
	elif [ -f    /etc/ntp.conf ] ; then         # Linux; FreeBSD; AIX; Mac OS X maybe
		CONFIG=/etc/ntp.conf
	elif [ -f  /etc/inet/ntp.conf ] ; then    # Solaris
		CONFIG=/etc/inet/ntp.conf
	elif [ -f  /private/etc/ntp.conf ] ; then # Mac OS X
		CONFIG=/private/etc/ntp.conf
	else
		CONFIG=
	fi

0 Karma

nunoaragao
Explorer

.. and to make chrony output similar to ntpdate, replaced the final section like this (switching the last lines of code to ntpdate condition)

( ... )
else
	CMD2="chronyc"
	assertHaveCommand $CMD2
	chronyc -n sources | awk -F"[] []+" '/\^/ {printf "server %s, stratum %d, offset %s, delay %s\n",$2,$3,$8,$10}'

Attempted to also use variable $AWK like most of the other scripts but kept having double quotes escaping errors .. gave up. Maybe not efficient but does the trick

0 Karma

mikaellindstrom

In the Splunk Linux /Unix app, the time.sh for example only supports ntp and not chrony so using the add-on on an RHEL 7 system with the default network time protocol (i.e. chrony) will be missing the NTP data. time.sh should support both NTP (legacy) and chrony (preferred).

0 Karma

uthornander_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is around the corner - should be in *NIx TA 8.1. https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/833/ that is imminent.

UT
0 Karma

uthornander_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is it that you want to do with Chrony that you can't do today?
I hadn't heard about it before but to the best of my understanding, there shouldn't be any difference to Splunk.
If it's just the matter of the time logs, you should be able to ingest them just as you ingest any other data.

UT
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...