I've used 7zip to create a tar.gz, app works fine on windows and linux based splunk installs. I've used the same process for uploading apps countless times. I've tried different computers, and different networks. Yet i'm having to release updates to apps by hosting it externally because I keep getting "An unknown error occurred while validating the package" when i try to upload the new version or when trying to create a new app from scratch and upload the "original" version.
Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?
I emailed splunkbase admin and found out this is a bug and they plan to fix it today. Which makes me happy! It's been 3 weeks since I first discovered and reported the issue.
That's a pretty good turn around if you ask me. Could be worse.
By the way if you didn't already know, Splunk has a pip package available command built just for inspecting an apps prior release or install.
Please see the page on Splunk Docs for AppInspect. It also has command line examples that I used for my app when submitting.
It covers cloud deployments and on-premises instances.
I do use appinspect but you gave me the idea to at least update it.
I have failures related to permissions on my python files but that's never stopped me from uploading before.
I might try putting in linux ecosystem and correcting permissions, then uploading again. Thanks.
I got this error when the app package contained some
.DS_STORE files or was zipped at the wrong directory level.
Usually I just use the Splunk CLI command
splunk package app <myFunkyAppNameHere> and upload the resulting spl file to Splunkbase.
Hope this helps ...
I tried this approach at your suggestion, and i get different errors regarding some rw perms on a .tmp file in there. When i unpack it, and review, these tmp files are not created by me, nor do they exist in my app... for this i blame windows splunk i guess.
So i removed the temp files, repacked as .spl, upload, get the same error.