All Apps and Add-ons

What is the process to run the TA-prtg Add-on?

erwan_raulet
Explorer

I installed this app and configured the prtg.conf file by completing the server, user, and password but nothing is displayed in the Overview view. Are there other files to configure Splunk in or PRTG? How to join this Add-on author?

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Hello Dominique,
I come back to the subject after a long absence but I encounter a problem with the script "prtghistoricdata" that does not work with my configuration.
When I try to run the following command in a new search, I get no results:
| prtghistoricdata id = 22371 count = 1 | fields - _raw, _time, * (RAW), source, sourcetype, host | transpose | rename column AS Key | rename" row 1 "AS Value
Do you have any idea of the problem I'm having? The language in my version of PRTG is French.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

Back at the office.

I had to include the splunklib in the bin folder 😞
Additionally there is a superfluous include that will not work in plain Splunk

I have the current 0.1.2 up on github though (i installed a prtg at home so i can check it out)
https://github.com/dominiquevocat/TA-prtg

evan_roggenkamp
Path Finder

Dominique, this is working for me now! Thank you for your efforts in writing this and correcting problems for windows platform. I have also learned very much from your coding. 🙂

0 Karma

mandrade91

what did you do? Did you need to change anything? I just edited prtg.conf and it did not work

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

maybe its a silly question but: is the prtg.conf in /local ?

0 Karma

mandrade91

hello, yes!!! i'm happy 🙂

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

Hi,

if you can reach the api you should be good. However the app tries to contact port 443 - you should be good in specifiy host:port in the .conf though.

dominiquevocat
Motivator

I will need to run it on a test instance to try to reprodice the issues...

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Hello, this latest version of the TA-PRTG application works much better. Splunk can communicate with PRTG now. I'll work on it now. Thank you for your help.

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

I just did the first tests and I see some modules do not work properly. This is the case for the Inventory module that picks me any results whatever the applied filter. Only the module "Sensordetails" gives information when I select a sensor in the list of Down sensors.
Do you have an idea of the problem?

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

would you care to accept the answer?

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

offhand? nope. I basically do this:
https://prtg.paessler.com/api/table.xml?username=demo&password=demodemo&content=sensors&columns=obji...

you can run it against your webinterface of prtg.

Note: this custom command is one i want to rewrite but so far i haven't gotten arround to it... how about you contact me directly? You can find me easily on google+ or facebook.

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Hello,
I added the port 443 at the end of the line "Server" in the prtg.conf file and restart Splunk process.
My file is like this:
[default]
server=my server.dom:443
user=user1
password=mypassword

When i try an API with a browser from my Splunk server. It is ok and I see the requests in my firewall log.
The same action in Splunk, nothing happens and no trace in my firewall.
Is it necessary to create a data input in Splunk for PRTG? If so what kind of input is needed?
Thank for your help.

0 Karma

evan_roggenkamp
Path Finder

Hi erwan, can you maybe try this again so we can close this question? I was able to get it working using the new version.

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Hello, this latest version of the TA-PRTG application works much better. Splunk can communicate with PRTG now but some problems remain. I do not use the Inventory module. Nothing appears whatever the filters applied. Only the alarms module would displays alerts and the Sensordetails module displays sensor informations.
Do you meet the same difficulties?

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

hi, are at the .conf? I am arround already and i suppose we can have a look. I wound need to see what is your environment and how it differs 😞 - we run splunk on linux and the prtg version we use is the 16.1.21.1924+
what you can try is see if you can access for instance the historic data using the relative url /api.htm?tabid=3

There you can run sample reports. That is what the custom command does. Next try to get that webpage from the searchhead using wget or curl using your user and password. If that works then i i don't know whats wrong.

For your refenrence: you can see the searches the dashboard items run. So for instance to see the alarms the dashboard runs:

| prtglivedata content="sensors" filter_status=5 count=100 | table _time,device,group,message,sensor,status,objid

content="" usually maps directly the the items as seen in the api.htm i.e. endpoints of the api.

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Hello, yes, my prtg.conf is in a local directory and my prtg version is 16.3.25.5767+ and installed on a different server than Splunk server. The access with api URLs are ok from Splunk serveur in a browser but the search in the dashboard is in error with the same message:

Error in 'prtglivedata' command: Error encountered while setting up custom search command, see search.log.

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

um, i found a few mistakes and put a version runnin on my home based mini windows environment up on https://github.com/dominiquevocat/TA-prtg

0 Karma

erwan_raulet
Explorer

Someone can help me about my problem. Thank

0 Karma

evan_roggenkamp
Path Finder

Are you getting any python errors when you try to inspect a search job that is run by the app?

I am getting python errors.

I have configured the addon the same way you have, and it is not working for me either.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...