All Apps and Add-ons

What is a proper way of upgrading over 70 Apps and Add-ons to the new versions in Splunk Enterprise and ES?

SamHTexas
Builder

What is a proper way of upgrading over 70 Apps and Add-ons to the new versions in Splunk Enterprise and ES?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

efika
Communicator

Technically if you made changes only in the Local directory of the apps you should be safe to just upgrade the apps, but it wouldn't hurt to backup anyway.

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Thanks again. Some of this work done before my time. How do I check to see if the changes were made in the local dir of the app. please? I appreciate your reply.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

efika
Communicator

Any changes made via the Web GUI or directly to the files should be as a *.conf files in the "Local" folder inside the app main folder.

0 Karma

efika
Communicator

The way we are doing it (obviously there is always a better way 😀😞

1. Make a list of all the apps on your current system and their version
  2. Backup all the apps folders (so that local, appserver and  the rest will be backed up as well !)
  3. Make a record of any in-house developed app that is using scripting or any external resource you are aware about
  4. Head over to splunkbase to check if the app is supported in the version you are upgrading to
  5. For every app check see if there was an update from the version you listed in (1). Some apps that will now support the splunk version you are upgrading to will change their inner working
  6. handle any conflicts or issues on dev/QA instance based on your own processes before you move to production.

Good luck !

1. Good luck ! 

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank  bro for your answer. Most of my apps are from Splunkbase.com. I have made a list of all. For the ones on Splunk base, would I still need to backup the apps folder or just upgrade them?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...