All Apps and Add-ons

Website Monitoring: How do I grant access to add a new website for a user role?

rameshlpatel
Communicator

Hi,

I have installed the Website Monitoring app in Splunk, however i could give access to a normal user to add a new website. It's only possible with admin role right now.

Could you please share me which capabilities i have to assign to the user role to give that access ?

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I'm looking into implementing this for the next version of the app. See this ticket for the details.

Update:
This is now supported in version 1.2.0. You can allow non-admins to make inputs by assigning users the "edit_modinput_web_ping" capability. You will likely want to give them the "list_inputs"capability too (if they don't already have it).

jameswatts
Explorer

I added those to capabilities to my power users and when they go to add a new URL it gives them a half filled screen, no input fields, nothing.

0 Karma

jameswatts
Explorer

By half filled I mean it stops after: "Create Inputs". The panel that usually accepts the input info is reduced to one white line and nothing more. This is on a hybrid SH. I tested on a "Free" install on my PC and got the same results. All in v6.6.3 (to mimic our cloud install) with v2.7 of Website Monitor.

If this helps, the power user gets this when attempting to add an input from website_monitoring/data/inputs/web_ping:
Encountered the following error while trying to save: Validation for scheme=web_ping failed: The script returned with exit status 1.

I verified the path is owned by Splunk, the capabilities are there: edit_tcp, list_inputs, ...web_input and ...web_ping.

Ideas?

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

@jameswatts : do you happen to be using the batch input creation page that is part of the Website Monitoring page or the Splunk page at "Settings -> Data Inputs -> Website Availability Check"?

If you are using the batch input page, could you check to see if there are any errors in the browser console? Also, could you try the Splunk data inputs page to see if it works?

0 Karma

jameswatts
Explorer

The first page link "Create an input to monitor a website. Create a website monitoring input now." gives me a 404 error, so I was clicking on "Create Input" from the app bar. That's where I get the "1 input was not created".

The link "You can also view existing inputs in the Manager." also goes to a 404.

From the Web Console (It's FF BTW):
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ config:1:13
window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection. common.js line 248 > eval:1362
Input creation failed BatchInputCreateView.js:6:2663
Input creation failed

Hope that helps.

0 Karma

jameswatts
Explorer

Tried Chrome, same results.

0 Karma

rkilen
Explorer

I'm using version 1.3.2, and want to have some non-admin users create their own website monitors. I created a role called webping with edit_modinput_web_ping and list_inputs capabilities, and added this role to the AD group containing the appropriate users.

As an admin, I add new website monitors by going to Settings -> Data Inputs, then selecting Website Availability Check, at which point I can add a new monitor. My users, however, don't see Data Inputs under their Settings. Is there another capability that I need to add?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...