All Apps and Add-ons

TA-microsoft-sysmon on Forwarders (UFs) - add a output.conf ?

spunk311z
Path Finder

Im a bit new to deploying forwarders on endpoints i manage (im not new to splunk)-

Many guides i see (including the install instructions for this sysmon TA), state that you should deploy this TA onto your forwarders.

To do this, the user will need to manually create a outputs.conf file (w indexer IP/dns) and place it in: \TA-microsoft-sysmon\default\

So why is there not a default/blank output.conf file located in \TA-microsoft-sysmon\default\ , from the start?
(or even a blank file, with just a #nothing line? I get that the devs dont know the IP / DNS of our indexers).

(im not complaining about this , im asking this incase im missing something and so that i can better understand, as it would seem to me a majority of users of this TA will be deploying it on forwarders as well as their indexer- so im wondering why there is not a outputs.conf "place holder").
thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...