All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk with R, Anybody interested in Splunk - R integration? Or anybody working on this?

clyde772
Communicator

Hey Splunk gurus~!

Splunk with R, Anybody interested in Splunk - R integration?

Or anybody ever worked on this?
If yes, we like hear about your Splunk R integration stories~! Look forward to hear from you.

Cheers~!

Tags (2)
0 Karma

hovu96-deactiva
Explorer

I've created an Splunk R app. It's really in a very early status so don't use it in production environment.

Description from http://apps.splunk.com/app/1735/:

This app provides a new Splunk search
language command 'r' that allows
passing data from Splunk to the
R-Engine for calculation and then
passing results back to Splunk for
further computation or visualization.

Overview Image

The app is open source: https://github.com/rfsp/r.

Please feel free to contribute. Please provide feedback, questions and suggestions!

clyde772
Communicator

Hey hovu96,

Darn! I wish you started this project earlier! If you did, we wouldn't have made any investment into this. We already invested developing "Splunk R" 6 month ago and put in significant amount of investment into it. We will have a GA version targeting this May. So, we can't go opensource...

We will have a GA a full working data modeling version targeting this May. Again, I wish we know each other earlier. Believe me , it requires more than just programming skills to get this done...

alt text

m_vivek
Path Finder

@clyde772 Where may I find your Splunk + R integration app.
Thanks.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can potentially use Java or Python bindings for R to utilize the Splunk SDK's, or use the REST API directly for searching data in Splunk and/or indexing data into Splunk from your R script.

R Language support on Splunk Answers

mikebd
Path Finder

I'm interested but have not yet started pursuing this. As one approach, some integration can be achieved via the shared capabilities of both Splunk and R with relational databases / CSV files.

Can you add some context regarding your use case in terms of direction of data flow and realtime requirements? e.g. are you looking to process Splunk output in R or consume R output in Splunk.

Splunk consuming R output:
- Splunk could use a data input command to periodically run an R script and index the results.
- An externally scheduled (cron) R script could stage output in a CSV for Splunk to incorporate using a lookup. This would be good for a particularly expensive R script if the results do not need to be realtime.
- A Splunk lookup can also run an R script inline with a search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...