All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for Palo Alto App - Peer Splunk Indexers

scottroymcse

We've recently started to change our splunk topology from a single search head / indexer, to search head and remote peer indexers.

The PAN splunk app will stay installed on the search head, however now with the traffic going to the indexers, all traffic is indexed as pan_log, however I recall a transforms.conf file that was setup in the application that would use some regex values to split up the traffic / threat / system traffic into different sourcetypes (?).

How is the PAN app supposed to work in this type of topology? Do I need to install the app on each of the indexers and have the transforms.conf copied over from the search head (original install point)?

0 Karma

kskujawa
Explorer

I installed the app on my indexer as well and can get the overview dashboard just fine, other dashboards such as Wildfire, Threat and Content are not working.

From the search head:
[REMOTE-INDEXER] The search for datamodel 'pan_logs' failed to parse, cannot get indexes to search

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Easiest is to just put the full app on both the indexers and your search head. As you mention yourself, there are index-time transforms in the app that need to go on the indexer. While you could of course break them out, the other stuff in the app isn't really causing any harm so the easiest (especially with regards to possible future updates of the app) is to just put the app as-is everywhere.

scottroymcse

Thanks for the response. After some investigation, it was better to take to transforms and props and bundled them into an application and deployed the files to the indexers. If I add additional indexers in the future, these changes will be pushed out automagically ..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...