All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk_TA_nix startup typo Error

hartfoml
Motivator

Anyone else get this typo error with the eventgen.conf

`Checking: $splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/eventgen.conf
        Possible typo in stanza [sample\.(openPortsEnhanced|passwd|service|update|selinuxChecker|sshdChecker|uptime|version|vsftpdChecker)\.(unix|linux|osx|solaris)] in $splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/eventgen.conf, line 185: randomizeEvents  =  true`
0 Karma
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, this is a problem with the spec file that ships with the product for eventgen.conf ($SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/eventgen.conf.spec). It isn't an updated version and doesn't understand the randomizeEvents parameter.

You can:

1) comment out all the randomizeEvents lines in eventgen.conf of the *nix TA (recommended)
2) update eventgen.conf.spec with the randomizeEvents specification (not recommended)

We will certainly try to fix this in a future version of the *nix TA.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, this is a problem with the spec file that ships with the product for eventgen.conf ($SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/eventgen.conf.spec). It isn't an updated version and doesn't understand the randomizeEvents parameter.

You can:

1) comment out all the randomizeEvents lines in eventgen.conf of the *nix TA (recommended)
2) update eventgen.conf.spec with the randomizeEvents specification (not recommended)

We will certainly try to fix this in a future version of the *nix TA.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I can verify that a stub .spec file can be created in an app-specific README directory to silence these warnings. Incidentally, they come from "btool check", and this is one way to validate that you've got the syntax of your homegrown .spec file correct.

Btool check is silent? The configs check out!

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The spec files lives in README rather than default/local. I think (but am not sure) that you could create a Splunk_TA_nix/README/eventgen.conf.spec that would allow you to provide the missing parameters, but it seems like commenting out the settings themselves is easier.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is it possible to edit a spec file that we keep in our system/local until this is resolved?

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In general, it isn't recommended to edit files in the system directory. More specifically, the next time you upgrade Splunk, the change will be overwritten.

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

Can you comment on why I should not update the .spec file?

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

thanks for the help. this works

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I also see this on 5.0.2. Was this a bug with 5.0.2?

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

I am on 4.3.1

0 Karma

dbylertbg
Path Finder

I am seeing this with Splunk 5.0.2 and Splunk_TA_nix 4.7.0.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version of Splunk are you on? I haven't seen this on 5.0.x.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...