All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk License Usage: Double hostname entry on license master due to reinstall

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

Hi,

I had a Splunk instance registered with a remote license master. At some point in time, I reinstalled the entire instance from scratch. Now, I have two entries for the same hostname on the license master under available Indexers, most likely because the GUID changed.

I already tried reverting the GUID of the instance to the old one but the license master still keeps a double entry under Available Indexers.

Is there any way to purge the useless entry from the license master or is this a matter of waiting?

0 Karma

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

Here's what I did

1. Verified I have one entry for slave on License Master associated with pool. No double entry under Available Indexers
  2. Stopped License Master Commented out clustering, clustermaster:indexercluster1, shclustering stanzas in server.conf Started License Master
  3. Stopped License Slave rm $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg Started License Slave
  4. License Master now mentions '1 orphaned indexer reported by 1 indexer' Under Available Indexers I now see a second hostname entry for the slave (because GUID changed)
  5. Stopped License Master Re-enabled clustering, clustermaster:indexercluster1, shclustering stanzas in server.conf Started License Master
  6. Under Associated Indexers for my pool I now see an entry for the old GUID I can remove the GUID, add the new hostname entry and all is well

So, moral of the story: license master has to be a search head

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Since the GUID changed multiple times, you have to manually remove the indexer from "Available indexers" list.

Click on "Edit" for desired pool under Licensing (Settings -> Licensing) on LM and remove the unwanted indexer(s).

0 Karma

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

I did that but my question was more if I can completely remove them from Available indexers or that it takes some time to age out?

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Are you asking about removing the greyed out instances that do not have 'X' mark?

0 Karma

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

They were black with a green + under 'Available indexers'

However, I noticed something odd.

Today I configured my license master as a search head and after a restart the hosts were marked with their GUIDs in a license pool. After removing them from the pool , they don't show any more under Available Indexers.

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

When a new instance(slave in other words) contacts license master with same pass$SymmKey, they are listed under available indexers. So, according to your comment, do you think a restart fixed it?

0 Karma

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

Here's what I did

Verified I have one entry for slave on License Master associated with pool. No double entry under Available Indexers

Stopped License Master
Commented out clustering, clustermaster:indexercluster1, shclustering stanzas in server.conf
Started License Master

Stopped License Slave
rm $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg
Started License Slave

License Master now mentions '1 orphaned indexer reported by 1 indexer'
Under Available Indexers I now see a second hostname entry for the slave (because GUID changed)

Stopped License Master
Re-enabled clustering, clustermaster:indexercluster1, shclustering stanzas in server.conf
Started License Master

Under Associated Indexers for my pool I now see an entry for the old GUID
I can remove the GUID, add the new hostname entry and all is well

So, moral of the story: license master has to be a search head

0 Karma

vishaltaneja070
Motivator

@gabrigr_ec

Did the below answer solves your issue?

0 Karma

vishaltaneja070
Motivator

Hello @Gabrigr_ec

Please try the below step, it will solve the issue:
splunk stop;
rm /opt/splunk/etc/instance.cfg;
splunk start

Thanks 🙂

0 Karma

gabrigr_ec
Explorer

That didn't work - it actually created a third instance of the hostname.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...