All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk HEC - AWS VPC Flow Logs - Timeout

andycohen

Hi,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to configure a Splunk HEC endpoint to consume AWS VPC Flow Logs via Firehose.

Having slowly worked through various errors, including HEC acknowledgement being disabled, SSL certificates issues, I thought I had beaten the last of them. However, I am now getting a rather unhelpful error in my Firehose failed events log as follows:

"attemptsMade":34,"arrivalTimestamp":1567429559545,"errorCode":"Splunk.ConnectionTimeout","errorMessage":"The connection to Splunk timed out. This might be a transient error and the request will be retried. Kinesis Firehose backs up the data to Amazon S3 if all retries fail."

Having had previous errors stating that the HEC indexer acknowledgement was disabled, and that ELB stickiness was not enabled, I'm fairly certain I am getting traffic to and from my Splunk instances. So I am not sure now why this is timing out. Is there any way to understand what is causing this? HEC Acknowledgement timeout is set to 600 seconds, so I don't believe it is this (plus that has its own error and corresponding code).

Any help gratefully received as I've been through all the documentation I can find, and am now stumped!

0 Karma

NetFlow_Logic
Contributor

One of the alternatives to ingest AWS VPC Flow Logs into Splunk is with NetFlow Optimizer (NFO). There are additional benefits that can be achieved by using NFO: data consolidation and enrichment (EC2 instances names, regions, etc.)

Here is the link to learn more https://bit.ly/2w5Pa5L

Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out and we’ll be happy to help you.

0 Karma

amiracle
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I built an app to help troubleshoot firehose issues : https://github.com/amiracle/kinesis_data_firehose_helper (It will be on splunkbase soon once it gets vetted.) You can use this to help troubleshoot some of the issues and make sure your setup is correct and able to send data into HEC.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...