All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: Connecting to a Vertica Database and Utilizing an Identity

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi,

I'm connecting to a Vertica database.  The latest JDBC driver has been installed and connecting to an older Vertica instance.

I set up an Identity with the username and password, but when I tried to create a Connection, it fails with a authentication warning.  

My solution for now was to edit the JDBC URL manually via the interface and add in the user and password parameters as shown below.

e.g.  jdbc:vertica://my.host.name:5433/databasename?user=myusername&password=mypassword

The connection now works and proves out that the JDBC driver and credentials are working.

This isn't a proper solution though as anyone with administration privileges in DB Connect is able to see the username and password if they edited that connection.

Any ideas on how to make a Vertica JDBC connection utilize the Identity set up?

The jdbcUrlFormat in the configuration is: jdbc:vertica://<host>:<port>/<database>

I was wondering if one solution is a way to reference the Identity here.

e.g.  jdbc:vertica://my.host.name:5433/databasename?user=<IdentityUserName>&password=<IdentityPassword>

I have tried similar things and that doesn't work either.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi @KendallW ,

The error is "Invalid username or password.  However, I am able to connect using other applications to the same database with that username and password in the Identity and that is what I am using in the jdbc url to access.

neilgalloway_0-1713309347342.png

0 Karma

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi @KendallW ,

I reread you post and realized I didn't answer the Identity question.  I do not get an error when saving the identity.

0 Karma

KendallW
Contributor

Hi @neilgalloway does it give any error when you save the identity?
Would you please share a screenshot of the error you are receiving when trying to save the connection using that identity?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...