All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: "[health.py] The user [foobar] is not allowed to use health logger." Where do I change permissions for this script?

chrisboy68
Contributor

HI,

Can't view health logger in Splunk DBX 2.x and I see the following error:

06/29/2015 11:48:21 [WARNING] [health.py] The user [foobar] is not allowed to use health logger.

Dug around and I can't see where to set the permissions for this script. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

JoshWhaley
Path Finder

EDIT: Apparently this didn't resolve the issue.. It seemed to for awhile, but I am receiving the errors again. Please disregards the "solution" below.

After editing bin/dbx2/health.py to log the actual exception rather than "The user [user] is not allowed to use the health logger." I was able to see the following:

11/13/2015 10:27:33 [WARNING] [health.py] [HTTP 404] https://127.0.0.1:8089/servicesNS/myUsername/splunk_app_db_connect/db_connect/health/myUsername; [{'type': 'ERROR', 'code': None, 'text': "In handler 'health': Could not find object id=myUsername"}]

Navigating to the parent of this URL showed an 'admin' object, and a 'nobody' object. Doing some digging turned up healthlog.conf inside the default directory. Adding my username as a stanza (or * if you'd like everyone to have permission) to healthlog.conf inside the local directory stopped the error messages, and has seemed to resolve the issue.

chrisboy68
Contributor

HI, do you mind sharing your exact syntax?

i added:

[*] 
hiddens=SESSION_KEY

to: Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\local\healthlog.conf and I still have the same issue.

Thanks.

Chris

0 Karma

JoshWhaley
Path Finder

I would think that should work, although I didn't provide any hiddens= or other parameters, and just have a line with [*]. This will use the default stanza from the default directory. Did you restart Splunk after saving the conf file?

0 Karma

chrisboy68
Contributor

Yep, I removed the extra stuff and just have:

[*]

Keep getting 11/16/2015 10:12:39 [WARNING] [health.py] The user [foobar] is not allowed to use health logger.

My healthlog.conf in the default directory looks like this:

[default]

## PY - any python function health logger
## DB - dbx2 python proxy health logger
## JP - java dbx2 proxy health logger
# do not leave spaces within items
loggers = PY,DB,JP

hiddens = SESSION_KEY,QUERY

[admin]
hiddens = SESSION_KEY

[nobody]

Any other ideas?

Tx

Chris

0 Karma

JoshWhaley
Path Finder

Assuming you did restart Splunk, then I'm fresh out of ideas.. What version of DB Connect are you running?

0 Karma

chrisboy68
Contributor

Thanks. 2.0.6

Chris

0 Karma

JoshWhaley
Path Finder

I'm on 2.0.4, so it's possible it could be something there, but that doesn't seem likely. One last idea would be to double-check the permissions on the .conf file. Other than that, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

0 Karma

tjohnson341
Explorer

I'm having this issue as well, was anybody able to resolve it?

0 Karma

bevant
Explorer

I have the same problem here. I've created/configured the app on one search head, and this doesn't happen, but when I deploy that app to a search head cluster, I get the error.

It only seems to affect dbx logging though, so while it's possibly stopping me from debugging my problem where DBX doesn't work in the cluster, I don't think it's actually much of a problem. 🙂

0 Karma

tmeader
Contributor

Seeing the exact same issue here with DBConnect2. My user account is under the admin role already, yet it still receives this "[WARNING] [health.py] The user [xxxxxx] is not allowed to use health logger." in dbx2.log any time the Health dashboard is accessed (and everything is blank).

The admin role has been directly granted BOTH db_connect_user and db_connect_admin roles. That didn't help after I logged in/out. I've even tried directly giving my user account db_connect_user and db_connect_admin roles. Still nothing.

Any help with this? Would be EXTREMELY helpful if this dashboard actually was accessible.

Using Single Sign-On if that makes any difference.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm pretty sure that you just need to grant your user the db_connect_user or db_connect_admin role in order to give them the right capabilities.

0 Karma

steven_swor
Path Finder

I downvoted this post because it doesn't fix the problem.

0 Karma

chrisboy68
Contributor

Thanks. db_connect_admin is part of the admin role. The user is me, "admin". Admin role shows the below.

Imported capabilities
db_connect_create_connection
db_connect_create_dblookup
db_connect_create_identity
db_connect_create_resource_pool
db_connect_delete_connection
db_connect_delete_dblookup
db_connect_delete_identity
db_connect_delete_resource_pool
db_connect_execute_query
db_connect_read_app_conf
db_connect_read_connection
db_connect_read_dblookup
db_connect_read_identity
db_connect_read_resource_pool
db_connect_read_rpcserver
db_connect_request_metadata
db_connect_request_status
db_connect_update_connection
db_connect_update_dblookup
db_connect_update_identity
db_connect_update_resource_pool
db_connect_update_rpcserver
db_connect_use_custom_action
db_connect_write_app_conf

Does not make sense....

Chris

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...