All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Jenkins: Can we access and search Jenkins master system log?

hyungchoi

We have successfully installed and configured Splunk App for Jenkins and Jenkins Splunk plugin. So far the basic features are working fine.

We need to save not only Jenkins job data, but complete Jenkins master system log as well.

Can we send Jenkins system master log to Splunk and access/search events in the system log on Splunk Jenkins App dashboard?

Jenkins system log can be found in https://JENKINS_MASTER_URL/log/.

0 Karma

txiao_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It sends the log but with INFO as base level, you can search the log by

index=jenkins_console source="logger://*"

you can adjust the level by adding -Dcom.splunk.splunkjenkins.JdkSplunkLogHandler.level=FINE to Jenkins startup arguments, but use it on your own risk

0 Karma

hyungchoi

Adding jenkins startup option works for any logging event in the default “All Jenkins Logs”. However, Logging in the custom logger is not accessible.

Custom logs are located at JENKINS_HOME/logs/custom/*.log. I suspect these logs are not sent to Splunk as jenkins_console index.

My custom logger is "jenkins.security.SecurityListener"

Any idea?

Thanks,

0 Karma

hyungchoi

Adding -Dcom.splunk.splunkjenkins.JdkSplunkLogHandler.level=FINE startup option work for getting logging event in the default "All Jenkins Logs", but still not working for custom logger.

Custom logs are saved in as JENINKINS_HOME/logs/custom/*.log.

For example, I have created custom logger for jenkins.security.SecurityListener. Searching index=jenkins_console source="logger://jenkins.security.SecurityListener" doesn't return anything.

I do see deeper event login "All Jenkins Logs" now.

Any idea how to push custom logs to splunk as jenkins_console and access it?

Thanks,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...