All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for AppDynamics,Does the data used by the Splunk app for AppDynamics count towards the license usage?

cloroxx
Explorer

The Splunk Add-on for AppDynamics uses REST API calls to fetch data. Does that data count towards the Splunk license when used within the Splunk App for AppDynamics?,We have Splunk and are standing up AppDynamics. It looks advantages to install the Splunk app for AppDynamics. Since the Splunk Add-on for AppDynamics uses API calls to fetch the data, does that data count towards the Splunk license usage?

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

I would say yes it will count towards your license usage. You should be able to verify in the licensing dashboard by reviewing license usage by sourcetype over the last 30 days in the Monitoring Console. In general, only Splunk internal logs such as splunkd.log and others which are written to _internal or _audit won't count against license usage. Summary indexes also do not count against license usage.

0 Karma

cloroxx
Explorer

I asked because I was told by an AppDynamics rep at their Road Show in Minneapolis that it doesn't because of the app is making api calls. I wanted to see if those who have the Splunk App for AppDynamics can confirm.

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

Check the dashboards and look at the queries. If the queries call an index, then Splunk counts the daily raw volume at ingest time of that index as license usage.

If the app were to load data into a csv(lookup table) or kvstore on the search head, that would not count against license.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...