All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for VMWare app- What is the Data Collection Node and Scheduler?

Lwoods
Path Finder

Hello,

I have a distributed environment:  1 Search Head (SH), 1 Indexer, 1 Deployment Server, and 1 Syslog Server. I deployed my apps to the Syslog server for those devices that cannot have a forwarder installed. In Splunk Add-on for VMware, it shows a diagram of a distributed environment.  I have my VMware device logs sent to the syslog server, then the syslog server sends them to the indexer. I've installed the add-ons for VMware Esxi Logs on SH and Syslog, and VMware add-on for Indexes on the Indexer.

I don't understand what a Data Collection Node, or a Data Collection Scheduler is?  The documentation is confusing.   What are these and do I need them in my environment for my VMware devices?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

it’s long time ago when I last use this, so I probably don’t remember all details:-(

Those are separate components which are used to manipulate/ fetch logs from vcenter. You need one scheduler and at least one DCN maybe more if you have big VMware environment. If I recall right there were separate OVAs which you could use? 
r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

it’s long time ago when I last use this, so I probably don’t remember all details:-(

Those are separate components which are used to manipulate/ fetch logs from vcenter. You need one scheduler and at least one DCN maybe more if you have big VMware environment. If I recall right there were separate OVAs which you could use? 
r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...