All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for New Relic: Why is the add-on not showing all apps when using account summary?

cemeyer2
Explorer

I configured the Splunk Add-on for New Relic with my New Relic (NR) api key and data did start flowing in, but the search:

sourcetype=newrelic_account source="applications.json" | mvexpand applications{}.name | dedup applications{}.name | table applications{}.name

Only returned 18 results (this is the search that populates one of the dashboard's list of applications to filter by). There are over 200 applications in my NR account, so I am curious if I have misconfigured something on my side or if there is an issue with the add-on?

Thanks!!!

0 Karma
1 Solution

tomm_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This add-on and the accompanying app have been both been updated to support New Relic pagination in the Account Summary input type.

Note: You will need to update any existing account inputs after installing the updated version.

View solution in original post

tomm_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This add-on and the accompanying app have been both been updated to support New Relic pagination in the Account Summary input type.

Note: You will need to update any existing account inputs after installing the updated version.

ntankersley_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Future versions of the add-on will have this issue solved. We will also be release an official Splunk version of this add-on soon that will account for pagination.

cemeyer2
Explorer

I did a bit of digging here, it turned out that I needed to disable truncation on the specific source type since the json from NR was larger than my config was allowing. That being said, I am now seeing 83 applications from NR in splunk when I am expecting many more. Is pagination of the NR api taken into account in this addon?

0 Karma

cemeyer2
Explorer

did more digging, based on the source code:

'''
        # Now on to processing this single account
        '''

#url = "https://api.newrelic.com/v2/applications.json"
        api_base_url = "https://api.newrelic.com/v2/"

urls = ["applications.json", "key_transactions.json","mobile_applications.json","alerts_violations.json"]

#headers = {'X-Api-Key':'0d27291dc862905e8e3e8e0f570f0d10b98686e27ffe21d'}
        headers = {'X-Api-Key': '{}'.format(opt_api_key)}
        parameters = "only_open=true"
        account_dict = {'account_id': '{}'.format(opt_account)}

for i in range(len(urls)):
            url = api_base_url + urls[i]
            if i == 3:
                # /alerts_violations.json --> requires a parameter of 'only_open=true'
                parameters = "only_open=true"
            else:
                parameters = ""

response = helper.send_http_request(url, "GET", headers=headers,  parameters=parameters, payload=None, cookies=None, verify=None, cert=None, timeout=None, use_proxy=True)

#r_headers = response.headers
            #r_cookies = response.cookies
            r_json = response.json()
            r_status = response.status_code

# check the response status, if the status is not sucessful, raise requests.HTTPError
            response.raise_for_status()

# if all is well, let's add the account ID to the event
            data = json.loads(json.dumps(r_json))
            data.update(account_dict)

# source=helper.get_input_name()
            src = urls[i]
            event = helper.new_event(source=src, index=idx, sourcetype=st, data=json.dumps(data))
            try:
                ew.write_event(event)
            except Exception as e:
                raise e

There is no pagination happening. Could the authors of this addon add support for pagination so that all of the data from NR gets indexed?

Thanks!

0 Karma

tomm_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Pagination support has now been added to the TA in version 1.5.1.

You can find it on Splunkbase now. Thanks for your feedback!

cemeyer2
Explorer

Hi Tom and Ntankersley,

With 1.5.1 of the TA, it does not load any data and the following error is in my logs:

2017-03-06 14:04:03,971 ERROR pid=6117 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_error:307 | Get error when collecting events.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_New_Relic/bin/splunk_ta_new_relic/modinput_wrapper/base_modinput.py", line 127, in stream_events
    self.collect_events(ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_New_Relic/bin/newrelic_account.py", line 70, in collect_events
    input_module.collect_events(self, ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_New_Relic/bin/input_module_newrelic_account.py", line 85, in collect_events
    r_json = response.json()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_New_Relic/bin/splunk_ta_new_relic/requests/models.py", line 842, in json
    self.content.decode(encoding), **kwargs
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 339, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 382, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
0 Karma

cemeyer2
Explorer

Nevermind, I was able to resolve this by removing the input that I configured with 1.5.0 of the TA and recreated it. Now all data is showing up properly

0 Karma

tomm_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for the update. Yes, as you noticed, we added a bit of flexibility in which APIs to call so that's most likely what was causing the issue. Moving forward this should not be a problem.

0 Karma

ntankersley_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for downloading and using the add-on, we appreciate your feedback. We're currently in the process of working on the pagination issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...