All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions 3.1.1: Why am I getting error "Unable to initialize modular input "jmx""?

banderson7
Communicator

Installed the Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions 3.1.1, and after restarting, I'm getting the error:

Unable to initialize modular input "jmx"

People have mentioned that the path to Java might be an issue, but I'm running Splunk DB Connect 2 on the same machine, using the following:

echo $JAVA_HOME
/home/splunkforwarder/jdk1.8.0_65/bin/java

and it's running fine. Do I need to define something that the instructions don't list?

0 Karma

Yorokobi
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Change $JAVA_HOME to

/home/splunkforwarder/jdk1.8.0_65
0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

Same error unfortunately.

0 Karma

nbjoshi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi banderson7,

Most runtime errors will be written to $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/jmx.log. Some errors can be found in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log. Does anything interesting show up there?

Also, please note that the Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions supports the following JMX Connectors:

rmi (JSR160 Standard Implementation
and MX4J's JSR160 Implementation)
iiop (JSR160 Standard Implementation
and MX4J's JSR160 Implementation)
soap (MX4J only) hessian (MX4J only)
burlap (MX4J only)

Note: If you are using Java 8, MX4J protocols are not supported.

0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

This is what shows in splunkd.log, jmx.log doesn't exist in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/...

05-17-2016 10:22:20.155 -0400 INFO  SpecFiles - Found external scheme definition for stanza "jmx://" with 3 parameters: config_file, config_file_dir, polling_frequency
05-17-2016 10:22:20.358 -0400 ERROR ModularInputs - Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
05-17-2016 10:22:20.358 -0400 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "jmx"  defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_jmx": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

Thanks ppablo!

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

no problem @banderson7 🙂 I hope you get a response here soon!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...