All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Check Point OPSEC LEA: Non-Audit data retrieval fails with "'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 572: invalid start byte"

jamesarmitage
Path Finder

When using "Non-Audit" as the data input, I am able to retrieve a few lines, and then the input fails. Other input settings work as intended.

While I was monitoring the output of /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunk_ta_checkpoint-opseclea_modinput.log I noticed the following:

2016-06-27 16:46:37,129 +0000 log_level=INFO, pid=28652, tid=Thread-9, file=ta_opseclea_data_collector.py, func_name=get_logs, code_line_no=62 | [input_name="fwmgmtp02-nonAudit" connection="fwmgmtp02" data="non_audit"]log_level=2 file:lea_loggrabber.cpp func_name:read_fw1_logfile_collogs code_line_no:2052 :LEA collected logfile handler was invoked
2016-06-27 16:47:02,901 +0000 log_level=ERROR, pid=28652, tid=Thread-1, file=event_writer.py, func_name=_do_write_events, code_line_no=79 | EventWriter encounter exception which maycause data loss, queue leftsize=838
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktalib/event_writer.py", line 62, in _do_write_events
    for evt in event:
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_data_collector.py", line 59, in <genexpr>
    index, scu.escape_cdata(event.event)) for event
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktalib/common/util.py", line 71, in escape_cdata
    data = data.encode("utf-8", errors="xmlcharrefreplace")
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 572: invalid start byte
2016-06-27 16:47:02,914 +0000 log_level=INFO, pid=28652, tid=Thread-1, file=event_writer.py, func_name=_do_write_events, code_line_no=84 | Event writer stopped, queue leftsize=849
2016-06-27 16:47:02,915 +0000 log_level=INFO, pid=28652, tid=Thread-4, file=ta_data_collector.py, func_name=_write_events, code_line_no=122 | [input_name="fwmgmtp02-nonAudit" data="non_audit"]  the event queue is closed and the received data will be discarded
2016-06-27 16:47:02,915 +0000 log_level=INFO, pid=28652, tid=Thread-4, file=ta_data_collector.py, func_name=index_data, code_line_no=114 | [input_name="fwmgmtp02-nonAudit" data="non_audit"]  End of indexing data for fwmgmtp02-nonAudit_non_audit

It seems that only the Non-Audit setting is retrieving unexpected Unicode values

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 572: invalid start byte

at which point the process hangs and indexing stops. The opsec_lea connection stays up, however, event processing is halted.

The byte value (0xa0) in this case isn't a specific indicator, I've had the same result for 0xf2 and 0xfc. I noticed that all of these are valid ASCII characters, but invalid standard Unicode characters (for example, 0xfc is in the "Specials" block as an o with an umlaut).

I believe this only occurs with Non-Audit as this is the only input setting that also retrieves Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus events (which I need to index). Although it is most likely a Unicode-handling error, I also found a related issue with fw-loggrabber here:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/fw1_lea2dlf.1.html

In the "Other notes" it points out an "unexpected non-continuation byte" -- the Splunk output is almost exactly the same: "invalid continuation byte".

I tested setting the environment variables in /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf however had the same issue.

Does anybody else have an idea to enable Non-Audit and keep it stable?

1 Solution

jamesarmitage
Path Finder

I found a temporary fix, hopefully this will be rolled into the next version of the TA.

Edit line 71 of /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktalib/common/util.py

data = encode("utf-8", errors="xmlcharrefreplace")

to:

data = data.decode("latin-1").encode("utf-8", errors="xmlcharrefreplace")

You'll have to restart the heavy forwarder or indexer to make the changes take effect.

I believe util.py is expecting valid utf-8 input, however the output of lea_loggrabber can include non-UTF-8 encoded data, especially when retrieving SmartDefense, Anti-Malware or Anti-Virus log entries.

This fix allows me to ignore the encoding of the lea_loggrabber output and treat it as binary data, map the incoming text to a valid unicode range and then encode as utf-8. This way util.py can return valid output back up to ta_data_collector.py and then event_writer.py, both of which also expect utf-8.

If at all possible, future versions of this TA should include try and except handlers so that it fails gracefully.

Credit where credit is due, I found a similar issue and fix here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/623758#623758

View solution in original post

dshakespeare_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk are currently investigating this issue. (ADDON-10459)
The above workaround appears to solve the issue for the time being.

0 Karma

jamesarmitage
Path Finder

I found a temporary fix, hopefully this will be rolled into the next version of the TA.

Edit line 71 of /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktalib/common/util.py

data = encode("utf-8", errors="xmlcharrefreplace")

to:

data = data.decode("latin-1").encode("utf-8", errors="xmlcharrefreplace")

You'll have to restart the heavy forwarder or indexer to make the changes take effect.

I believe util.py is expecting valid utf-8 input, however the output of lea_loggrabber can include non-UTF-8 encoded data, especially when retrieving SmartDefense, Anti-Malware or Anti-Virus log entries.

This fix allows me to ignore the encoding of the lea_loggrabber output and treat it as binary data, map the incoming text to a valid unicode range and then encode as utf-8. This way util.py can return valid output back up to ta_data_collector.py and then event_writer.py, both of which also expect utf-8.

If at all possible, future versions of this TA should include try and except handlers so that it fails gracefully.

Credit where credit is due, I found a similar issue and fix here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/623758#623758

mcmaster
Communicator

I wish I had thought to search for this before I tracked this bug down and patched it myself 🙂

0 Karma

dyoung529

Thanks! This fix worked for us as well. We started experiencing the same issue after moving to v4.0.0 of the TA. I will open a case as well.

0 Karma

lweber
Path Finder

Great, I came to exactly same workaround (but using iso-8859-1 instead of latin-1, which is the same ;))
I just opened a case to get that fixed.
A restart is not necessary... i just disabled and re-enabled the input in the UI and the change in the py file was picked up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...