All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils: Why do I receive "Unknown parameter 'applyOuterIntentionsToInternalSearch' is defined for module StaticSelect" error in 6.5.2?

support0
Path Finder

Hello,

We have a specific App developed in advanced XML that works fine in Splunk 6.2.3.

On a 6.5.2 version, there is an error with the applyOuterIntentionsToInternalSearch parameter :

Misconfigured view 'Client_Overview_whitout_client_rtt_test' - Unknown parameter 'applyOuterIntentionsToInternalSearch' is defined for module StaticSelect. Make sure the parameter is specified in StaticSelect.conf.

We have tried to resolve it by upgrading Sideview Utils from 3.2 to its latest 3.3.15 version, but the error remains.

Not familiar with advanced XML apps, any idea ?

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, that parameter was never legal on that particular module. That parameter is legal on the FooLister modules but not on their StaticFoo cousins. eg it's legal on SearchSelectLister but not a valid param on StaticSelect.

What I'm pretty sure has instead bitten you here, is that the old version of Splunk was actually failing to display that same error all this time.

What eventually fixed this UI error display problem, I believe was not splunk but rather SIdeview Utils - in Sideview Utils 3.3.10 released Feb 8 2016, I finally tracked down this problem and was able to patch it from Sideview Utils. (The problem was splunk either in 6.X had started loading two different copies of the libraries to implement their messaging framework, and the long story short a majority of the actual UI messages ended up getting delivered to the first one loaded, when it had already been superceded by the second one loaded moments later. o_O)

So.. practical suggestions. Don't use StaticSelect ! It's incredibly outdated and totally superceded by the Pulldown module. If you go to the "Module Documentation > Form Search Modules > The Pulldown Module > Pulldown - static config"

it's pretty simple to use and if you get an understanding of that page, the config there will be a drop in replacement for StaticSelect.

Granted.... if there actually is some orphaned intention from upstream that wants to go somewhere... that's a different matter. If you send me your view (support [at] sideviewapps.com) I'm still happy to take a look. If the manual conversions just take a minute or two I'll do them for you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, that parameter was never legal on that particular module. That parameter is legal on the FooLister modules but not on their StaticFoo cousins. eg it's legal on SearchSelectLister but not a valid param on StaticSelect.

What I'm pretty sure has instead bitten you here, is that the old version of Splunk was actually failing to display that same error all this time.

What eventually fixed this UI error display problem, I believe was not splunk but rather SIdeview Utils - in Sideview Utils 3.3.10 released Feb 8 2016, I finally tracked down this problem and was able to patch it from Sideview Utils. (The problem was splunk either in 6.X had started loading two different copies of the libraries to implement their messaging framework, and the long story short a majority of the actual UI messages ended up getting delivered to the first one loaded, when it had already been superceded by the second one loaded moments later. o_O)

So.. practical suggestions. Don't use StaticSelect ! It's incredibly outdated and totally superceded by the Pulldown module. If you go to the "Module Documentation > Form Search Modules > The Pulldown Module > Pulldown - static config"

it's pretty simple to use and if you get an understanding of that page, the config there will be a drop in replacement for StaticSelect.

Granted.... if there actually is some orphaned intention from upstream that wants to go somewhere... that's a different matter. If you send me your view (support [at] sideviewapps.com) I'm still happy to take a look. If the manual conversions just take a minute or two I'll do them for you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...