All Apps and Add-ons

Query optimization

mlf
Path Finder

Can anyone come up with a better/faster/more elegant way of achieving this?

CALL_NAME="method-1" CALL_STATUS="CALL_ENDED" 
| bucket _time span=5m
| stats count as count_1, avg(CALL_DURATION) as duration_1 by _time 
| join _time [ 
  search CALL_NAME="method-2" CALL_STATUS="CALL_ENDED" 
  | bucket _time span=5m
  | stats count as count_2, avg(CALL_DURATION) as duration_2 by _time ] 
| eval duration_D=duration_2 - duration_1
| where ( count_1 >= 5 AND duration_1 > 4000 ) OR (count_2 >= 5 AND duration_2 > 10000 ) OR (count_1 >= 5 AND count_2 >= 5 AND duration_D > 7000)

I can get the basic values with this:

CALLNAME="method-1" OR CALLNAME="method-2" CALLSTATUS="CALL_ENDED" 
| timechart span=5m count(CALLDURATION) as count, avg(CALLDURATION) as duration by _time, CALLNAME

but I can't figure out how to get the 'where' logic to work with the resulting column names.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

spock_yh
Path Finder

Actually, you probably meant not to use _time in the "by" clause of the timechart command, since timechart is already by time.

If you do:

| timechart span=5m count(CALLDURATION) as count, avg(CALLDURATION) as duration by CALLNAME

timechart will produce 4 columns, named "count: method-1", "duration: method-1", "count: method-2", and "duration: method-2". You can then perform the rest of the search using those fields, but to make things a bit simpler I'd first rename the fields:

| timechart span=5m count(CALLDURATION) as count, avg(CALLDURATION) as duration by CALLNAME
| rename
  "count: method-1" as count_1, "count: method-2" as count_2,
  "duration: method-1" as duration_1, "duration: method-2" as duration_2
| where ( count_1 >= 5 AND duration_1 > 4000 ) OR (count_2 >= 5 AND duration_2 > 10000 ) OR (count_1 >= 5 AND count_2 >= 5 AND duration_D > 7000)

Note that for cases where timechart isn't appropriate, you can do the same using "stats", but instead of 2 aggregation expressions you would use 4 with an "eval" condition, as follows:

stats
  sum(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-1",1,0))) as count_1,
  sum(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-2",1,0))) as count_2,
  avg(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-1",CALLDURATION,null()))) as duration_1,
  avg(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-2",CALLDURATION,null()))) as duration_2
by whatever_field

Hope this helps,
Yair Halevi (Spock)

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

The following will do everything except for dealing with duration_D...

| bucket span=5m _time
| stats count(CALLDURATION) as count, avg(CALLDURATION) as duration by _time, CALLNAME
| where count > 5
| where (CALLNAME="method-1" AND duration > 4000) OR (CALLNAME="method-2" AND duration > 10000)

spock_yh
Path Finder

Actually, you probably meant not to use _time in the "by" clause of the timechart command, since timechart is already by time.

If you do:

timechart will produce 4 columns, named "count: method-1", "duration: method-1", "count: method-2", and "duration: method-2". You can then perform the rest of the search using those fields, but to make things a bit simpler I'd first rename the fields:

| rename
  "count: method-1" as count_1, "count: method-2" as count_2,
  "duration: method-1" as duration_1, "duration: method-2" as duration_2

Note that for cases where timechart isn't appropriate, you can do the same using "stats", but instead of 2 aggregation expressions you would use 4 with an "eval" condition, as follows:

stats
  sum(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-1",1,0))) as count_1,
  sum(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-2",1,0))) as count_2,
  avg(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-1",CALLDURATION,null()))) as duration_1,
  avg(eval(if(CALLNAME=="method-2",CALLDURATION,null()))) as duration_2
by whatever_field

Hope this helps,
Yair Halevi (Spock)

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this resolved your issue, please accept the answer as correct by clicking on the check-mark to the left of the answer. Thanks!

mlf
Path Finder

Bingo! It was actually the spaces in the column names that were tripping me up. (after figuring out that I had to single quote them in the where clause...) Good call on the rename though. Make things much simpler.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...