All Apps and Add-ons

Operating system versions

udayk1
Path Finder

I have a concern that I want to know what are all the operating versions are being used in our organization. I have tried searching the same through different queries like windows wild card and stuff like that, but seems no luck.

Any special query to get this?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The Splunk 5.x App for windows should have come up with a WMI input (check wmi.conf file, sourcetype=WMI:Version). Ensure that that is enabled. Then following should give you the OS information

index=main sourcetype="WMI:Version" | rex "Caption=(?<OS>.*)" | table host, OS, Version, ServicePackMajorVersion, ServicePackMinorVersion

Just for reference, following is the content of wmi.conf for [WMI:Version].

wmi.conf

[WMI:Version]
disabled = 1
## Run once per day
interval = 86400
wql = SELECT Caption, ServicePackMajorVersion, ServicePackMinorVersion, Version FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
0 Karma

udayk1
Path Finder

Hey thanks a lot. But if I want to get the versions of Operating systems i.e. Windows 7, XP and etc?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index=_internal source=*metrics.log | stats count by hostname, os

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...