All Apps and Add-ons

OPSEC LEA - *** Confidential ***

PunchMonkey
Explorer

I have just gotten a Splunk instance running and am working on including logs from our Check Point Smart-1 management server. I've followed the docs for the Splunk OPSEC LEA add on without any significant problems and am receiving data from the management server.

However, many of the fields are coming across as "*** Confidential ***". Is there any way to get the real values?

Fields affected include (but not limited to): user, src_user_name, src_machine_name, dst_user_name, dst_machine_name, appi_name, app_desc, app_risk, app_rule_id

Here's a sample record:

loc=33292 filename=fw.log fileid=1337354883 time=18May2012 12:31:28 action=reject orig=UTM1 i/f_dir=inbound i/f_name=Internal has_accounting=0 product=VPN-1 & FireWall-1 __policy_id_tag=product=VPN-1 & FireWall-1[db_tag={9E77F78D-A0EE-12E1-97FE-000000001819};mgmt=fwmgmt;date=1337355553;policy_name=Standard] user=*** Confidential *** src_user_name=*** Confidential *** src_machine_name=*** Confidential *** dst_user_name=*** Confidential *** dst_machine_name=*** Confidential *** snid=7f006812 rule=74 rule_uid={3CEEDB7D-72AE-469C-862B-A329CE4F2E2C} src=userpc1 s_port=17500 dst=255.255.255.255 service=17500 proto=udp
1 Solution

PunchMonkey
Explorer

After speaking with our Check Point support team, it seems this is an issue introduced in R75.20 as a "feature". To get the expected behaviour, you need to apply a hot fix to the management server.

I've applied the fix in our environment and it's working well.

View solution in original post

ashokqos
Path Finder

To fix such issues please follow the steps below.

1. Open Smart Dashboard. Go to OPEC Splunk object. Then click on LEA Permissions.
    Here you need to Change "Permission to read logs" to Show all log fields. By default this is set to "Hide all confidential log fields".

2. Install Database and then Push policy

3. reboot Check Point management server.

I tried cpstop/cpstart on management server and also re-setting LEA connection from OPSEC LEA's state settings (disable/enable) but I could still see many fileds as confidential in Check Point logs. After reboot of Check Point Management server this issue was resolved.

Thanks
Ashok
alt text

Yunagi
Communicator

Upvoted. Rebooting the Check Point managent server helped.

0 Karma

ashokqos
Path Finder

If the issue still persists please refer Checkpoint's sk103758 and sk101570

0 Karma

worshamn
Contributor

Looks like now in R77 there is no need for the hot fix but if you see "Confidential" in the logs it is because the OPSEC application object in SmartDashboard is not set to the "Show all log fields" option in the "LEA Permissions" tab. See sk101570

PunchMonkey
Explorer

After speaking with our Check Point support team, it seems this is an issue introduced in R75.20 as a "feature". To get the expected behaviour, you need to apply a hot fix to the management server.

I've applied the fix in our environment and it's working well.

Chubbybunny
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

just curious ... which hot fix id or version did you happen to apply to the mgmt server?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...