All Apps and Add-ons

O365 Secret Key expiration doesn't generate expected return code

gordo32
Communicator

I just ran into an issue where the O365 app created for log collection had it's Secret Key expire. According to http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/MSO365/Troubleshooting there should be a 401 or 500 error generated. But in fact, what is generated it an unhandled exception (running Add-on for O365 2.0.0, but no reason that it would be fixed in current 2.0.3 version):

2021-01-15 16:26:09,016 level=ERROR pid=12670 tid=MainThread logger=splunk_ta_o365.modinputs.management_activity pos=utils.py:wrapper:67 | start_time=1610745965 datainput="Audit_AzureActiveDirectory" | message="Data input was interrupted by an unhandled exception." Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunksdc/utils.py", line 65, in wrapper return func(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/modinputs/management_activity.py", line 102, in run executor.run(adapter) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunksdc/batch.py", line 47, in run for jobs in delegate.discover(): File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/modinputs/management_activity.py", line 125, in discover self.token.auth(session) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/common/token.py", line 56, in auth self._token = self._policy(self._resource, session) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/common/token.py", line 37, in __call_ return self.portal.get_token_by_psk(self._client_id, self._client_secret, resource, session) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/common/portal.py", line 98, in get_token_by_psk raise O365PortalError(response) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/common/portal.py", line 31, in __init_ self._code = data['error']['code'] TypeError: string indices must be integers

I already added the comment to the documentation and they suggested I post it here as well. For now, I have an ugly alert/query in case this happens again:

index=_internal sourcetype="splunk:ta:o365:log" "Data input was interrupted by an unhandled exception." "File \"/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_ta_o365/bin/splunk_ta_o365/common/portal.py\", line 31, in __init__" "TypeError: string indices must be integers"

I'm also sending a suggestion to MS to add events in the logs for "secret is expiring in X days".

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gordo32
Communicator

I also meant to mention that I'm using the same AppID for collecting AzureAD & Graph SecurityAPI logs.

Both of those continued to work for at least 10 days after O365 collector stopped working (SURPRISE!!).

No idea why these continued to work, even after *rebooting* my Heavy Forwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...