All Apps and Add-ons

Not able to see the app Splunk TA for *nix in Splunk Home

KomalSharma
Explorer

Hi,
I have installed the TA on a universal forwarder on a Linux machine and when I try to access the app through Splunk Web, I do not see it available to me. I see the Search and Getting Started apps but not the Splunk App for Unix and Linux.
I have completed the installation steps as per the documentation and am very new to Splunk so will appreciate if someone can guide me how to fix this.

0 Karma

pickerin
Path Finder

The Splunk_TA_nix is an add-on that you put on the Universal Forwarders.
The Splunk App for Unix is a full-blown application (with Views) that you install on your Search Head.

It sounds like you haven't installed the Splunk App for Unix on your Search Head.

Also, once you DO have it running on your Search Head, note that the Splunk App for Unix will not automatically see your Universal Forwarders, you have to manually add them to appropriate Categories and Groups under Settings > Categories

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

The Splunk for Unix and Linux TA doesn't contain any of the web files you're looking for. It's meant to be the small portion to install on UF's and other server that are just sending data somewhere else. You need to install the regular version of the app: link text

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Actually, the TA does contain a web interface to allow admins to set up the TA.

0 Karma

tmeader
Contributor

I'm confused though, do you have the Splunk for Unix App installed (on the search head) as well, or just the TA for Unix? Both would be required before there would be any visible "App".

mikelanghorst
Motivator

Failure to read on my part, missed that you were installing on UF.

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

But you shouldn't have both installed on the same host. The TA is the portion you would install on your forwarders as it doesn't contain the web interface pages. The normal Splunk for Unix/Linux app (non TA) is what you need on your Search server.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you looking in the App dropdown on the top right?

MarioM
Motivator

it looks like you might not have extracted properly (the path should be splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/(and following subfolders /appserver /bin /default /lookups /metadata /samples)

If this is the case check that splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/app.conf has:

[ui]
is_visible = true
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...