All Apps and Add-ons

No host names in the drop down for Linux - CPU Metrics

editshare

I have setup the Splunk Add-On for Linux and setup collectd on a host. I can see the index growing with events. I have setup a dashboard made up of pre-defined panels for CPU, memory usage etc. however I see nothing on the dashboard.

There are no hosts listed in the drop down.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not answering your question directly but why not use the Splunk app for infrastructure for the metrics?

0 Karma

editshare

Hi - thanks for the tip, is that the recommended app for monitoring linux host information? I'm a bit behind on my Splunk knowledge so I'm not familiar with the Splunk app for infra app.

If that is an easier method of gathering CPU, memory, etc from a collection of hosts I'm all for using that method over collectd/write_http.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, Splunk App for Infrastructure can do the Linux monitoring using collectd but has a bit more polish than the app you are trying to use.

Furthermore it can assist in installing collectd/has built in dashboards

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Show us some raw events and a mockup of your desired dashboard panel(s).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...