All Apps and Add-ons
Highlighted

No fields are extracted from custom unix app script output

Engager

Hello,

I'm currently using the Unix App to show the disk space of some nodes. This works fine, however, for some nodes, I'm only interested in one of the mounts. For this, I copied df.sh and modified it to my needs:

. `dirname $0`/common.sh

HEADER='Filesystem                                          Type              Size        Used       Avail      UsePct    MountedOn'
HEADERIZE='{if (NR==1) {$0 = header}}'
PRINTF='{printf "%-50s  %-10s  %10s  %10s  %10s  %10s    %s\n", $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7}'

if [ "x$KERNEL" = "xLinux" ] ; then
        assertHaveCommand df
        CMD='df -TPh'
        FILTER_POST='$7 !~ /cassandra_volume/ {next}'
fi

$CMD | tee $TEE_DEST | $AWK "$BEGIN $HEADERIZE $FILTER_PRE $MAP_FS_TO_TYPE $FORMAT $FILTER_POST $NORMALIZE $PRINTF"  header="$HEADER"
echo "Cmd = [$CMD];  | $AWK '$BEGIN $HEADERIZE $FILTER_PRE $MAP_FS_TO_TYPE $FORMAT $FILTER_POST $NORMALIZE $PRINTF' header=\"$HEADER\"" >> $TEE_DEST

I modified FILTER_POST so that the mount must contain cassandra_volume.

Because this is a new script I added the default config for it in default/inputs.conf:

[script://./bin/df-cassandra.sh]
interval = 300
sourcetype = df
source = df
index = os
disabled = 1

And in local/inputs.conf:

[script://./bin/df-cassandra.sh]
disabled = false

as well as setting disabled = true for the df.sh script.

And great, it works! I get the logs when I use this search query:

index=os host=intcassandra*_datacenter2 sourcetype=df

There is one problem though. I changed this on one node and the others still use the default df.sh script, and for the logs collected from the one where I changed it to the custom script, no fields are extracted:
example of logs

As you can see, intcassandra01_datacenter2 (the one I added the custom script on) DOES emit the log, but no fields are extracted, while the others (who use df.sh) do have the extracted fields.

Details of the broken log:
alt text

Details of a working log:
alt text

Note that, for the very same log (of the same mount) but from a different host, for the custom script it doesn't work, and for the regular one it does.

I have no idea what could cause this. I'm not entirely sure how the entire thing works either so maybe I'm missing something. The file was temporarily edited on a Windows machine, could it be due to some kind of encoding difference or different treatment of spaces or something?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: No fields are extracted from custom unix app script output

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @brentic,

Try to change FILTER_POST as given below, because FILTER_POST which are you using removing headers and due to that Splunk is not parsing those data.

FILTER_POST='($7 !~ /(cassandra_volume|MountedOn)/) {next}'

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: No fields are extracted from custom unix app script output

Engager

Ah thanks a lot! I suspected that too but, in the default df.sh script it contains a FILTER_POST as well without a filter for the MountedOn. EIther way, it worked for me!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: No fields are extracted from custom unix app script output

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great, that it worked, the way they have given FILTER_POST and the way you are using is opposite so you need to tweak it little bit. You can accept my answer so that it will be useful for community members in future.

0 Karma